Help Id these white spots on purple tang

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So coper is out of the question in a qt tank ? As I’m from the U.K. I’m not sure we’re I could get chloroquine
Copper acceptable. Make sure you have a copper test kit if using copper

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Ricsreef

Ricsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper acceptable. Make sure you have a copper test kit if using copper

Yes I will have a test kit and when should I start catching the fish and getting them in to qt ? Asap or hold out a couple of days to see how it progress on the tang ?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I will have a test kit and when should I start catching the fish and getting them in to qt ? Asap or hold out a couple of days to see how it progress on the tang ?
ASAP so it doesn’t infect the other fish, assuming it hasn’t already. Not to mention, catching a fish in a reef tank can take some time. :)

OP
OP
Ricsreef

Ricsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ASAP so it doesn’t infect the other fish, assuming it hasn’t already. Not to mention, catching a fish in a reef tank can take some time. :)

no other fish showing signs (yet). And yes that’s my worry now catching the fish ‍Also I’m right in thinking all the fish need to go in qt

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sooner than later but at least until morning to see if any additional spots have not progressed

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well an update the spots have not progressed pr gone so what can it be ?
So - to clarify, the spots are all in the same location? If so, it is unlikely ich, and they do look a bit large in the new photos. It could by Lymphocystis, but that is usually on fin edges and not as many spots to start with. ANY spots on any other fish yet? Tang behaving normally? I’d hold off another day, but prepare to treat with copper or praziquantel.
Jay

OP
OP
Ricsreef

Ricsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - to clarify, the spots are all in the same location? If so, it is unlikely ich, and they do look a bit large in the new photos. It could by Lymphocystis, but that is usually on fin edges and not as many spots to start with. ANY spots on any other fish yet? Tang behaving normally? I’d hold off another day, but prepare to treat with copper or praziquantel.
Jay

all spots in the same place as when I noticed and no other fish have any on them and yes eating and swimming normally

OP
OP
Ricsreef

Ricsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay

so what if they are the same tomorrow?What do I do from there ? Thanks.

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss, dude. That's not lymphocystis then. It doesn't kill. I'm kind of stumped on what it could be if the copper didn't work and the fish died from it. Maybe it was something internal that just presented external symptoms as well. I'm just speculating here.

Really glad that your other fish haven't presented symptoms though. If it was something highly transmissible like cryptocaryon, then your journey would have been a lot longer and tougher.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the fish. What did you end up treating with? I was finally able to view the first video (I have a new internet provider) and it looks to me that the fish was breathing rapidly as well as having those random spots.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As Jay mentioned- What measures did you take prior to its' loss which im sorry to hear happened. Always a beautiful addition to any tank

OP
OP
Ricsreef

Ricsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated with cupramine half dose so definitely wasn’t the copper that killed it regular tests was carried out for copper so it was definitely in the safe zone For the tang I’m still baffled what it was as stated all my other fish are fine

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated with cupramine half dose so definitely wasn’t the copper that killed it regular tests was carried out for copper so it was definitely in the safe zone For the tang I’m still baffled what it was as stated all my other fish are fine

Oh - with copper you need to go "all in" - a half dose isn't going to eliminate protozoan disease, and it may not even slow it down. The dose for all copper medications is right on the line between being able to control the disease and being harmful to the fish - like running on a razor blade, but you need to do it or it just doesn't work.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back