Help ID this photo shy worm.

JAC-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed this little guy happily scurrying across the open rocks in high light. He seemed quite comfortable with me staring at him and hanging out in the open, but he did not like having his picture taken.

As soon as the focus laser on my phone came on, he hauled back to a hole in the rock work.

I did manage to get the one picture.

Odd little fellow, hoping someone recognizes it.

Thanks friends.

Screenshot_20201108-113157_Gallery.jpg

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't ID it from the photo :( If you can catch it under white light will be better. It look like polychaeta SP but that are the worms usually, it's any of the Annelid worms, but can't match it completely, found only this one GOOGLE IMG Ribbon Worm , but that's it, can't see anything else, it have or no bristle at all on it ?Look also what's trying to eat. after you disturb it with the flash on the camera, how fast it gone and in what (hole or just under the LR?
Really bryng us another foto, I'm interested in, to see what's it :)

OP
OP
JAC-

JAC-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't ID it from the photo :( If you can catch it under white light will be better. It look like polychaeta SP but that are the worms usually, it's any of the Annelid worms, but can't match it completely, found only this one GOOGLE IMG Ribbon Worm , but that's it, can't see anything else, it have or no bristle at all on it ?Look also what's trying to eat. after you disturb it with the flash on the camera, how fast it gone and in what (hole or just under the LR?
Really bryng us another foto, I'm interested in, to see what's it :)
Thanks friend, I will definitely take more pictures if I see it again.

I didn't see and bristles at all. It is very tiny, the picture I posted was zoomed in.

I am not sure what it is eating, there in not much detritus in the area it was in. It was in a fairly high flow area of the tank.

It left extremely fast, covered three of its body lengths in less than a second, and went into a hole in the live rock.

One thing to note, it didn't turn around it just started going in the opposite direction.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Does appear to be ribbon worm. These worms are highly muscular, and the larger forms also use muscular means to move themselves along. They may pass muscular waves of contraction down their bodies using these to provide propulsive power.

OP
OP
JAC-

JAC-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does appear to be ribbon worm. These worms are highly muscular, and the larger forms also use muscular means to move themselves along. They may pass muscular waves of contraction down their bodies using these to provide propulsive power.
Ah, interesting cool info too. Nothing to be concerned about?

Thanks @vetteguy53081

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also can be the proboscis (part of the worm using to feed), so can't confirm (Like the bobbit worm have and retract it really fast when stressed )

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ah, interesting cool info too. Nothing to be concerned about?

Thanks @vetteguy53081
I don't think I would consider any of these worms a risk factor for any aquarium inhabitants but they do secrete a lot of mucus making me nervous having that substance reach my corals.

OP
OP
JAC-

JAC-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also can be the proboscis (part of the worm using to feed), so can't confirm (Like the bobbit worm have and retract it really fast when stressed )
Good thinking @SHNICI

I think I saw the entire length of it though.

It did appear as if it was making a wave motion along its body when retreating, forgot to mention that. I think it is a ribbon worm.

OP
OP
JAC-

JAC-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I would consider any of these worms a risk factor for any aquarium inhabitants but they do secrete a lot of mucus making me nervous having that substance reach my corals.
Great to know, yes the corals are my primary concern. I recently had to evict a bristle worm that started living under one of my leptoseris frags. It was really irritating it.

Always a pleasure @vetteguy53081
Thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back