Help id what's wrong with my Spiney Box Puffer plz!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much copper safe to get to 2ppm In a 29 gallon biochbe?

@Brew12 can probably answer that since he's done the math recently. BUT, you'll need to have an API test kit and test the levels yourself every time you dose the tank to be sure you are on track and don't overshoot the target.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 can probably answer that since he's done the math recently. BUT, you'll need to have an API test kit and test the levels yourself every time you dose the tank to be sure you are on track and don't overshoot the target.
I would test daily anyway to be sure -- things can absorb it and sometimes copper seems to "vanish". Since they're sensitive to copper you'll need to make the 30 days in full therapeutic levels count. If it ever dips below therapeutic range, you'll have to start all over again because the parasite will complete its life cycle.

Great advice you've received here, good luck. Keep us posted!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe would be roughly 2.1mL/g so for a 29g, estimating 26g water volume, would be 54mL.

Minimum therapeutic, which you will want to reach quickly is 1.5ppm at 1.6mL/g would be 42mL. For velvet, I would do multiple doses per day to get to the 42mL and then slowly add the additional 12mL.

But, I know next to nothing about Puffers, so you may need to go slower. Tough call weighing the sensitivity of the fish against the urgency of Velvet.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best - and only certain - method of ensuring the correct dose is to test (use a "total copper" kit like API) the actual copper level in the water.

The dosage on the bottle (Tablespoon/5ml : 4 gallons) gives you a copper saturation that's a little lower than is recommended.

See here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/proper-dosing-of-coppersafe.309726/#post-3811426

~Bruce .... who shouldn't do this before he's fully assimilated his coffee . . .

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best - and only certain - method of ensuring the correct dose is to test (use a "total copper" kit like API) the actual copper level in the water.

The dosage on the bottle (Tablespoon/5ml : 4 gallons) gives you a copper saturation that's a little lower than is recommended.

See here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/proper-dosing-of-coppersafe.309726/#post-3811426

~Bruce .... who shouldn't do this before he's fully assimilated his coffee . . .
Diet dew, here! :)

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I have is a seachem multitest copper test kit. It's reading a 1.0mg/l reading. Can anyone help me convert this to how much ppm my water is up to?

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
485a168934976cc9f6bb45c2c78b479a.jpg

This is what I'm using! But... I also have Cupramine on hand. Thought the Coppersafe would be easier on my puffer.

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.. if there the same does that mean that I'm at 1.0ppm which isn't even a therapeutic level high enough to fight off velvet.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or I believe that is as high as this test kit goes so my level could be higher

^^ You nailed it; as Seachem's copper test kit only measures up to 0.80 mg/L. It is meant to be used with Seachem Cupramine, which has a therapeutic range of 0.35 - 0.5 mg/L.

Coppersafe, on the other hand, has a much higher therapeutic range: 1.5 - 2.0 mg/L (or ppm). So, you need a "total copper test kit" such as API which measures up to 4 ppm.

Or Chemetrics makes a very accurate (albeit pricey) copper test kit which is capable of measuring all forms of copper: https://www.chemetrics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=392

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone was a lot of help with this matter a while back so figured I'd ask. When I removed my puffer from the 75 to the 29 gallon qt he puffed. Now in the next couple of days it's time for him to come out of qt and I'm wandering if there is a proper way to get him out and transferred back to his dt without making him puff.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would see if I could shoo him into a container that'll hold water to do the transfer. Just make sure it's big enough to hold him, should he decide to inflate . . . I brought one to the Key West aquarium years ago that lodged itself into a 5-gallon bucket!

~Bruce

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone was a lot of help with this matter a while back so figured I'd ask. When I removed my puffer from the 75 to the 29 gallon qt he puffed. Now in the next couple of days it's time for him to come out of qt and I'm wandering if there is a proper way to get him out and transferred back to his dt without making him puff.
I was also paranoid when I was moving my big porcupine, but he didn't puff up. Use a Tupperware container.

Act like you are feeding him so he comes to the top and just scoop him up.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just put my porcupine puffer back into the DT today. It's been fallow since Easter (he's been out since 4/15). I missed the initial scoop and had to chase him around which stressed both of us out, lol. He never puffed up. After 15 minutes he was already picking on my hermit crabs in the DT. Hopefully this entire velvet ordeal is over!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back