Help id what's wrong with my Spiney Box Puffer plz!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would see if I could shoo him into a container that'll hold water to do the transfer. Just make sure it's big enough to hold him, should he decide to inflate . . . I brought one to the Key West aquarium years ago that lodged itself into a 5-gallon bucket!

~Bruce

I moved one with a huge net and he puffed way bigger than I expected. I had to cut the net off of him which was quite the chore. lol

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, after qt and treating the puffer for a month. I moved Ms. Puff back to the dt and 2 days later she was covered in ick this time. So now she is back in qt being treated once again. None of my other fish in this tank have any symtoms and are perfectly healthy looking and acting. Why is this? I'm gonna try a 30 day treatment once again and put her back in one more time. If she gets something the next day again I don't no what else to do besides leave her in qt.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, after qt and treating the puffer for a month. I moved Ms. Puff back to the dt and 2 days later she was covered in ick this time. So now she is back in qt being treated once again. None of my other fish in this tank have any symtoms and are perfectly healthy looking and acting. Why is this? I'm gonna try a 30 day treatment once again and put her back in one more time. If she gets something the next day again I don't no what else to do besides leave her in qt.

Are you treating all the fish? The only way to get rid of the ich is to remove ALL fish for treatment and let your DT run fallow (fishless) for 76 days. Most likely, the other fish have developed immunity, but are acting as carriers and allowing the parasites to continue their life cycle and thrive in your tank. The puffer has not developed the same immunity, which is why he is reinfected after returning to the display.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you treating all the fish? The only way to get rid of the ich is to remove ALL fish for treatment and let your DT run fallow (fishless) for 76 days. Most likely, the other fish have developed immunity, but are acting as carriers and allowing the parasites to continue their life cycle and thrive in your tank. The puffer has not developed the same immunity, which is why he is reinfected after returning to the display.
X2 you'll need to treat everyone or you're wasting your time, unfortunately...

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put all of my fish in a 29 biocube during the fallow period? I have a clown trigger, panther Grouper, and a hen. butterflyfish. And of course the spiney box puffer that's already in qt.

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking too! Gotta figure something out. The puffer has ick so now I have to treat them all. Guess I'll have to buy another tank and split them up!

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking too! Gotta figure something out. The puffer has ick so now I have to treat them all. Guess I'll have to buy another tank and split them up!

Check out Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. I got a 55 gallon with a stand, lid and Penguin 350 for $90. It's nothing fancy but it doesn't leak!! Even at that, they still need to be small.

My advice is to get a filter like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051XIN78/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then get some bio-spira and let it work for like a week. Unless the ich is really bad, they have some time. I could not for the life of me get a biofilter started while the medication was in there. I went through a big bottle of stability and couldn't get the ammonia down, so I was dosing prime every other day.

Also, I recommend getting some CP, FWIW I used the stuff from aquarium pharmaceutical/fishman chemical (I know it is debated) and it saved my puffer.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ remember that it's not a good idea to mix prime/ammonia reducers with other medications. Especially copper, it raises the toxicity tenfold and will kill all your fish! Frequent water changes are better to control ammonia with medications, just make sure you are dosing the new water in the bucket BEFORE it hits the tank.

CP is the best route for puffers, however I've seen others treat them with coppersafe (chelated copper) without issue, provided the level is increased very slowly - at least half what the label recommends. And if you use copper, make sure to check your levels very frequently to be sure they don't drop...even a short dip can allow the parasites to restart their life cycle and negate everything you've done [emoji58]

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone confirm if this is indeed velvet? Or ick? Or something else?
83a0bb6ec78dc1e50b19af87704bf8b3.jpg
8dcb345e54e0fc4c3f1a26d4d15dd319.jpg
b1518cb630baae8b3a21cfc350f99a6a.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back