Help identify cause of spots on Foxface

Polithium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. My foxface has developed small spots (two of them. One on each side in different locations) and I am not sure what they are. Scrapes? Parasite? He is breathing fine, swimming fine and eating fine, when he can. I have a cleaner wrasse in the tank with him. It keeps trying to pick at the spots. And the foxface is really annoyed by it. Could be part of the problem? All parameters are good.

20210531_180337.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this doesn’t look like any of the common external parasites. May just be skin lesions from injuries and then enlarged by the cleaner wrasse pestering it. Cleaner wrasse tend to focus on white spots like this, and can actually cause more harm than good.
The darker ring around the white spot shows possible healing taking place....if the wrasse will leave the spots alone!
Jay

OP
OP
P

Polithium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this doesn’t look like any of the common external parasites. May just be skin lesions from injuries and then enlarged by the cleaner wrasse pestering it. Cleaner wrasse tend to focus on white spots like this, and can actually cause more harm than good.
The darker ring around the white spot shows possible healing taking place....if the wrasse will leave the spots alone!
Jay
Thanks. I was thinking the same. But I am pretty new to this.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back