Help identify Cyno or Diatom

MarineHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help identifying whether this is Cyno, Diatom or Dino.

Little background: Earlier this year I switched salt from Fritz Salt(Blue) to Red Sea Coral Pro from then I noticed problem with Algea and late March I started seeing spots on sand and slowly it took over the entire sandbed.

When I switched salt I did it gradually over several weekly 10% water change (75/25, 50/50, 50/50,25/75). But in Feb I saw spike in Nitrate and Phosphate from then I saw Algea on rocks. My average nitrate(Tested using Hanna High rage) is 6 to 8 but it spike to 18 and phosphate(Tested using Hanna Ultra low) is 0.06 to 0.08 but it spiked to 0.2 after almost a month it reduced back my average.

If I stir the sand I see air bubbles coming. Few weeks back I tried Chemiclean and I didn't see any change so I am starting to doubt whether it is Cyno. I also check my RODI and it is still reading 0 tds

Since day1of this tank I siphon sand every other week. Since March(after the issue started) spots appear next day of water change and with in 3 to 5 days entire sand is covered.

Tank Details:
1. Age - 3 years
2. Gallon Volume - 90
3. Parameter -
Ca - 470
Alk - 10.5
Mag - 1380
Nitrate - 6.5
Phosphate - 0.09

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should check your RODI for silicates which may be causing diatoms in the sand after water changes. My ICP showed silicate in my RODI and I had similar algae to yours on my sand.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back