Help identify this Algae

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has had it up and downs but a little problem has come up with a new algae. Comes off really easy but grows pretty fast
sg=1.025
NO3=4-5ppm
PO4=.06
ph= 8.23 - 8.30
I use a Chaeto reactor and it gets emptied every 3 weeks as it grows like mad
Here are some pictures

Plain daylight sample
IMG_0515.JPG

The other 2 major spots are the back of the tank and some on the rock
IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0522 (2).JPG

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking it is either

Calothrix or Lyngbya

I put some H2O2 in some water with it to see what it does.
It does look similar to Lyngbya majuscula but hard to tell from pics, as I am old and my eyes suck

@Subsea @WheatToast thoughts?

Also, how ya been @Manose hadnt seen ya in a while.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look similar to Lyngbya majuscula but hard to tell from pics, as I am old and my eyes suck

@Subsea @WheatToast thoughts?

Also, how ya been @Manose hadnt seen ya in a while.
I am doing great and I hope all is well with you.
My tank is just going through some kind of weird phase out of the blue.
No water changes as I am going to discontinue the salt I have because each batch mixed nastier and nastier.
Ordered some TMpro from BRS and will use that as long as it's the one Made in Germany.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cup shows GHA and other pics notate Calothrix which is a type of cyano , Its confused often with dino but associated with GHA , and organics. This is one that requires manual labor for removal using either a toothbrush or my preferred- Auto detail brush.
Peroxide wont do much with this but adding cleaners listed below will help with control. Best is to remove rock and place in bucket of tank water and clean it instead of within the tank.

Cleaners:
Pitho crab
Nerite snails
Trochus snails
chiton snails
Margarita snails
cerith snails

detail brush (make sure non-metallic)

1643078853343.png

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing great and I hope all is well with you.
My tank is just going through some kind of weird phase out of the blue.
No water changes as I am going to discontinue the salt I have because each batch mixed nastier and nastier.
Ordered some TMpro from BRS and will use that as long as it's the one Made in Germany.
Been doing good. Don’t get me started on Turkey salt lol. I am now back to IO, as at least I know what the residue is and just a while home filter on my mixing station to remove it.

That algae though, have you seen anything even try to eat it? Not the long part, but if you made it short from removal.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cup shows GHA and other pics notate Calothrix which is a type of cyano , Its confused often with dino but associated with GHA , and organics. This is one that requires manual labor for removal using either a toothbrush or my preferred- Auto detail brush.
Peroxide wont do much with this but adding cleaners listed below will help with control. Best is to remve rock and place in bucket of tank water and clean it instead of within the tank.

Cleaners:
Pitho crab
Nerite snails
Trochus snails
chiton snails
Margarita snails
cerith snails

detail brush (make sure non-metallic)

1643078853343.png
Time to get some cleaners as I cant take the rock out as it's glued in for the most part.
Is Reef Cleaners still the best place for cleanup crew?

Been doing good. Don’t get me started on Turkey salt lol. I am now back to IO, as at least I know what the residue is and just a while home filter on my mixing station to remove it.

That algae though, have you seen anything even try to eat it? Not the long part, but if you made it short from removal.
My foxface sometimes pics at the stuff on the back but will not touch the rock.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to get some cleaners as I cant take the rock out as it's glued in for the most part.
Is Reef Cleaners still the best place for cleanup crew?

My foxface sometimes pics at the stuff on the back but will not touch the rock.
if the foxy is eating at it, more than likely not lyngbya sp. so that is good.

My last order from reef cleaners was like it used to be. Ordered a few months ago and had the one or 2 dead ones, but had more than I ordered also, so no big deal.

My worry this time of year would be temps. Although I did just ship macro and snails last week via usps 2 day and all lived lol. But I pack rings better than most. So that is a plus there.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the foxy is eating at it, more than likely not lyngbya sp. so that is good.

My last order from reef cleaners was like it used to be. Ordered a few months ago and had the one or 2 dead ones, but had more than I ordered also, so no big deal.

My worry this time of year would be temps. Although I did just ship macro and snails last week via usps 2 day and all lived lol. But I pack rings better than most. So that is a plus there.
It's been really cold up here so I was thinking just going for overnight from the best place possible and was thinking on getting a urchin(tuxedo)
I need a full crew though as I only have 2 trochus snails and they wont go near the rocks. They are massive as I have had them for 2 years.
Now it's time to figure out how many to get as I am thinking a bunch including some sand sifters like Nassarius snails.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been really cold up here so I was thinking just going for overnight from the best place possible and was thinking on getting a urchin(tuxedo)
I need a full crew though as I only have 2 trochus snails and they wont go near the rocks. They are massive as I have had them for 2 years.
Now it's time to figure out how many to get as I am thinking a bunch including some sand sifters like Nassarius snails.
No LFS in Knoxville or Asheville that would have any? I know it is a little bit (well more than a little lol) that would have any. Or even SA is a little closer that Knoxville. They still have a store front, correct?

Just looked and reef cleaners isn’t shipping until at least 1/31.

Algae Barn, as their packaging is on par and super insulated, may be an option. They are the only other ones I have ordered anything from in regards to clean up crew, unless I got some on a massive bulk order of nems or corals.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No LFS in Knoxville or Asheville that would have any? I know it is a little bit (well more than a little lol) that would have any. Or even SA is a little closer that Knoxville. They still have a store front, correct?

Just looked and reef cleaners isn’t shipping until at least 1/31.

Algae Barn, as their packaging is on par and super insulated, may be an option. They are the only other ones I have ordered anything from in regards to clean up crew, unless I got some on a massive bulk order of nems or corals.
I don't associate with SA and have no clue about other shops as I stay inside most the time.
I think that I will get some peroxide going to loosen some up as my coral is not happy. I am hoping that the stuff is not Lyngbya because it's a death sentence.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't associate with SA and have no clue about other shops as I stay inside most the time.
I think that I will get some peroxide going to loosen some up as my coral is not happy. I am hoping that the stuff is not Lyngbya because it's a death sentence.
Lyngbya can be removed, but it requires removing the rock to scrub or dosing a crap ton of algaecide to kill it. That would mean moving all corals and then biking the tank. No one wants that. And I really hope it isn’t. Hoping just super thick gha and some elbow grease gets rid of it or at least keeps in check until you can get some thing to eat it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Crap I forgot that my cleaner shrimp will die if I use H2O2 :(
I did place a order for some snails
10 trocus
8 cortez ceriths
8 Nerite
6 large Nassarius{just to churn sand bed}
3 mexican turbos
Ty @Eagle_Steve and @vetteguy53081
I used peroxide which is mainly water with cleaner, fire and coral banded shrimp with no effect

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got better pictures of the algae on the rock and the glass because the lights make them look a different color
This is what is on the rock
rock work.JPG

And this is the back glass
back glass.JPG
Not wire or bryopsis
Still going with GHA

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gha , green turf algae. My tank went through that ugly stage after I moved. I did nothing and it went away due to the cuc.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back