Help identify this bacteria please and thank you

Blue5001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my son and I started a tank and are totally new to this Hobby. This is now the 3rd week of it’s existence and we added a small cleaning crew last week. We are more or less following the BRS 52week plan, my son just really wanted to add a few creatures. The tank was started with half live reef rock and half live rock from our local fish store, as well as live sand. It’s a 40gal Aquatop all in one thingy.

I am curious about these bacterial colonies that “appeared“ today -see photo below

We found a Stomatella snail today which is why I noticed them. There are also tiny wispy bacteria around the tank, (0.1-.05ish mm) and I wonder if they are related and or bad.

I complete understand that the tank is new, and there will be all sorts of things occurring until the tank is in equilibrium - also that I likely don’t need to worry or do anything until that happens.
This is entirely a curiosity question and would appreciate any information as I have been unable to identify it looking through the forums thus far.

Tank parameters below and thank you very much in advance.
-Blue

image.jpg

So right now we have:
4 Nassarius snails
2 Emerald crabs
2 “Ninja Star” astrea
6 Blue leg hermit crabs

Hitchhikers (based on guide here):
1 Stomatella snail
1 colonista snail (observed)
1 bristleworm (observed and removed)

tank parameters:
NH4 - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0
pH - 8.2
kH - 14
Ca - 400
PO4 - 0
Salinity - 1.024g/L

We leave the lights off except for a minute or 2 to observe together and interact very little with it other than adding DI water and testing every couple days to have some chemistry fun for the Dude.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue5001

Blue5001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much both. I appreciate the information. It seems that I was looking in the wrong the entirely wrong kingdom! Good news though. More of those little zombies would be awesome!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much both. I appreciate the information. It seems that I was looking in the wrong the entirely wrong kingdom! Good news though. More of those little zombies would be awesome!
Careful what you wish for. Another reefer bought 20 narcissus and 6 month later, hundreds. Not in my experience though.

OP
OP
Blue5001

Blue5001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful what you wish for. Another reefer bought 20 narcissus and 6 month later, hundreds. Not in my experience though.
I’ll keep my eye out. Thanks for the note. I don’t have any predators yet so that could occur. Maybe we’ll suction the majority out during the water change this weekend.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never really heard of this occurring (I read online that the offspring usually don't make it :(). Did you hear about that story here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/nassarius-snails.853566/? As I posted on that thread, I do not believe those were Nassarius snails (they look like Cerith snails).

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back