Help identifying blue hippos disease after QT and fallow period

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I have 2 blue hippos that looks like they are having Lymphocystis.
I'm also pretty sure I'm seeing heavy breathing and a scratch on a rock.
i'm not so sure this is the case.
Some background:
I've had those 2 hippos for around 3 months, and when I introduced them to my DP (no QT) I've learned the important lesson about why you should QT your fish.
I took all of the fish out and put them into a hospital tank.
Cupramine for 30 days at full level.
After a fallow period of 45 days at around 81f I've returned them to the DT.
I've also added the PB tang after he spent 30 days in QT in copper power.
as you probably can see from the video the hippos are fat and eating well, they get nori/sea weed on a clip every day.
Eating variety of brine shrimp, mysis, blood worms, flakes(spirulina) and pellets.
This is the first time I see sign of a disease in the tank from when I've put them back to DT.
The interesting thing that might be a coincidence is that I've soaked their seaweed in Selcon yesterday for the first time.

BTW, about the HLLE, this is probably the result of the time in QT which was pretty small and they didn't got sea weed that often.

Would appreciate any help! I really don't want to go fallow again

Blue Hippo disease - YouTube

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I have 2 blue hippos that looks like they are having Lymphocystis.
I'm also pretty sure I'm seeing heavy breathing and a scratch on a rock.
i'm not so sure this is the case.
Some background:
I've had those 2 hippos for around 3 months, and when I introduced them to my DP (no QT) I've learned the important lesson about why you should QT your fish.
I took all of the fish out and put them into a hospital tank.
Cupramine for 30 days at full level.
After a fallow period of 45 days at around 81f I've returned them to the DT.
I've also added the PB tang after he spent 30 days in QT in copper power.
as you probably can see from the video the hippos are fat and eating well, they get nori/sea weed on a clip every day.
Eating variety of brine shrimp, mysis, blood worms, flakes(spirulina) and pellets.
This is the first time I see sign of a disease in the tank from when I've put them back to DT.
The interesting thing that might be a coincidence is that I've soaked their seaweed in Selcon yesterday for the first time.

BTW, about the HLLE, this is probably the result of the time in QT which was pretty small and they didn't got sea weed that often.

Would appreciate any help! I really don't want to go fallow again

Blue Hippo disease - YouTube
Hi,

That isn't Lymphocystis. With fast/heavy breathing and scratching on rocks, but still feeding well, my first thought is flukes. It could also be Brooklynella, but I see a clownfish in the video, and I would expect that to catch Brooklynella first.

I didn't see in your history where you tried Praziquantel. If not, then you might consider a 2 x treatment with Prazipro, spaced 10 days apart. You'll need to increase aeration in the tank during the treatment.

Jay

OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right, I forgot to mention this. I did treated with Prazipro after removing the copper from the QT.
I did not do the same for the PB tang.
I actually can believe that it's flukes. I've noticed a bit of cloudy eye on one of them.
Does the big white chunks on the fish make sense to be flukes? Or are they just a side effect from the stress caused by the flukes?
And more importantly, can I dose the prazipro in my display? I have many shrimps, anemones, starfish and corals.
No feather dusters or any worms I want to keep.
If so, I've read that I should remove the cap from my skimmer and make sure there is enough oxygen.
@Jay Hemdal
Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have general cure on hand if this is better for this case.
Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have general cure on hand if this is better for this case.
Thanks!
No, General Cure is not reef safe - it is metronidazole and praziquantel, Flukes need to be treated with praziquantel, so prazipro is best to use in a reef setting.

Jay

OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay, will dose it after food time.
I've noticed this morning less of the white stuff on the fish, and a damaged fin where a big chunk was, I guess the cleaning shrimps took some of it off. I don't see the cloudy thing in the eye anymore.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back