Help Identifying Ich or Velvet

lilfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! A about a week and a half ago, my husband and I noticed some white spots on my two clowns and fire goby. We have been dosing Microbe-Lift Herbtana (for parasites) and Artemiss (for bacteria) and we don't see any more spots on one of the clowns and the goby, but it seems to be getting worse on our other clown. The clown is acting normal and still eating/swimming but it's the spots aren't going away. I will post pictures (I'm sorry if it's a little blurry, he kept moving haha!), just wondering if we should be more concerned about this or if sometimes they just take a bit to go away.

Tank parameters:

Alkalinity: 8.4 dkh
Calcium: 405 ppm
Nitrate: 9.1 ppm
Phosphate: 0.11 ppm
Salinity: 1.023
pH: about 7.2

Any insight would be really helpful, thank you!

image1.jpeg image0 (2).jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

what you are seeing is pretty typical for marine ich. The spots come and go at first, and may not hit all fish equally at first.
The produce you are using is more of a herbal tonic than a full medication. It’s benefit is that it can be used in tanks with invertebrates, the drawback is that doesn’t often work against active infections like this.
The tried and true treatment is to move all of the fish to a treatment tank and dosing them with Coppersafe or hyposalinity….these work well if started soon enough but cannot be used with invertebrates.
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back