View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the short version
What is this slime?
20201119_195737.jpg

Here is the full story of my tank.
This is a 100 gal tank that was set up in late may.
for the first around 2 months i had no algea or cyano issues. However both my phosphate and nitrate was a bit higher than i wanted it (can't remember the numbers). So in late july i added a refugium to my sump with some cheato. With that came some cyano bacteria, but nothing that ran out of control. A month later i went on a short holiday. When i came home there where cyano everywhere. I made some larger waterchanges, however i could not get it under control, and my corals startet struggeling.
My LF sold me some Cyano RX. And that did the trick. No cyano at all and my tank looked fantastic.
For a week...
Then came the hair algea. And not just some, every square millimeter of rock was and i tried scraping it of, brushing. adding urchins, nothing did the trick and again, my corals started struggeling because they were drowning in algea. I then tried Vibrant. And that worked. After 4-6 weeks almost all of the hair algea was gone. Again, i was really happy,
Now this is growing on my substrate. I started siphoning it out. it came back again in less than a day, it does not dissapear at night, and i have tried 2 doses of cyanoRX with no effect.

My tank parameters are as following :
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2 ppm
Calcium 380 ppm
Alk 7 dKH
Magnesium: 140 ppm
Phosphate: 0,02 ppm
pH: 8,2
Salinity 35

My Acan and frogspawn is started to close up. Anyboddy who has a good idea of what this is?

Last edited:

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick test: do they go away at night or seem reduced? If so dinos

If it's cyano just siphon into filter sock daily until gone and reuse water you siphon out.

Simultaneously make sure your nitrates are elevated along with phos

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's dinos, probably.
Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 9.46.21 PM.png

this bit looks really dino-ish to me.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back