Help identifying this algae

Tanker Bob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Need help identifying this algae. Have been doing battle with green hair and now this is popping up. Don't know if it is green hair but it is more brown, feather-like and I can't pinch any off with tweezers and brushing with toothbrush doesn't remove it. Have used NOPOX to start to get rid of green hair and it is working. I have 200g tank and only 2 clowns, royal gamma, goby, baby eel (hitchhiker from setup!!) and now (just a couple days ago) 3 baby (quarter-sized) yellow tangs who are pecking at the algae.
Any help appreciated.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Need help identifying this algae. Have been doing battle with green hair and now this is popping up. Don't know if it is green hair but it is more brown, feather-like and I can't pinch any off with tweezers and brushing with toothbrush doesn't remove it. Have used NOPOX to start to get rid of green hair and it is working. I have 200g tank and only 2 clowns, royal gamma, goby, baby eel (hitchhiker from setup!!) and now (just a couple days ago) 3 baby (quarter-sized) yellow tangs who are pecking at the algae.
Any help appreciated.

OP
OP
T

Tanker Bob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
post a pic, but it could be bryopsis
Hmmm. I did post pic but I guess it din't take.

Try this. Thank you.

1605474876393.png
1605474876393.png

OP
OP
T

Tanker Bob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics would help. Your description of feather like sounds like the fern like appearance of bryopsis.
I think I didn't describe it correctly. Looked up bryopsis and it definitely doesn't look like that. After fing=ding another site/article about algae it seems to look like Calothrix or dinoflagellates.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back