Help identifying this weird worm and coral dipping recommendations

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I recently got a couple of wall hammers that came with free Aptasia and I also found a worm that survived the frag plug removal and Bayer dip.
The worm was about 1/4 inch and could be seem without microscope but here is a picture at 40x in case it helps. I also loaded a video.
  • Can someone help me identify it?
The frags are in the quarantine frag tank and I'm trying to find the best approach to treat them during quarantine before introducing them to the display tank.
I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to quarantining. I've been successful at preventing pests from entering my QT in the past.
I do extensive inspection and cleaning, remove the bases/frag plugs and dip in Bayer.
I also have a brand new bottle of CoralRx that I haven't used because a while ago a hammer I dipped in a sample of that product didn't make it.
The bases of the wall hammers are quite porous, I'm wondering if completely sealing them with CA glue would be sufficient or if I should do more dips.
Maybe I should give CoralRx another chance.
  • Please share your dipping recommendations.
Thanks!

20211002_113626 - Copy.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like baby fireworm

OP
OP
M

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, thank you very much for the help.
These came in a wall hammer I traded a few weeks ago. They survived my initial Bayer dip but CoralRx seems to have done the trick.
Unfortunately my Frag Quarantine tank has lots of them now. I tried to get rid of them twice now using Flatworm eXit. Some of them die off but the larger ones don't.
I'm planning to reboot the frag tank (only 1 frag left in there). Any recommendations to get rid of them for good?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, thank you very much for the help.
These came in a wall hammer I traded a few weeks ago. They survived my initial Bayer dip but CoralRx seems to have done the trick.
Unfortunately my Frag Quarantine tank has lots of them now. I tried to get rid of them twice now using Flatworm eXit. Some of them die off but the larger ones don't.
I'm planning to reboot the frag tank (only 1 frag left in there). Any recommendations to get rid of them for good?
Add a wrasse and they will be gone

OP
OP
M

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the help!
I'm definitely going to take that frag quarantine tank down for cleaning and drying.
James, thanks for the idea of the wrasse. If I spot any of those in my DT, that would be a great excuse to get a beautiful wrasse. I'll need to learn more about them and see if they won't battle against my 3 male lyretail anthias since they have similar shape.
@Uzidaisies thanks for the info, that website looks great! Are you aware of others like it?

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the help!
I'm definitely going to take that frag quarantine tank down for cleaning and drying.
James, thanks for the idea of the wrasse. If I spot any of those in my DT, that would be a great excuse to get a beautiful wrasse. I'll need to learn more about them and see if they won't battle against my 3 male lyretail anthias since they have similar shape.
@Uzidaisies thanks for the info, that website looks great! Are you aware of others like it?
I’m not sure about other sites like that, but this one can is pretty good for general identification of the more common aquarium pests and diseases; https://reefs.com/pest/

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed what think was my Tuxedo Urchin pulling flatworms out of their burrows in the rock and into the urchin's mouth. Have noticed this for over a week now so I don't think the flatworms going into the urchin's mouth to lay eggs or something like that, I think the flatworms were actually being ate. Have scoured the internet and did not see anywhere that urchins could eat flatworms. Has anyone ever noticed this diet choice in other sea urchins?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back