Help identifying what’s on my lyretail!

Hugo’s_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef Fam I purchased this Lyretail anthias and has been in my observation tank for 2 weeks now.now it’s developing what appears to be brook or ick . Can some one help me identify and if possible recommend treatment . Thanks in advance.

4C6262D5-D1B7-40E6-9439-2256961721B8.jpeg 79270F59-D737-4CF8-912A-C50BD81465F3.jpeg 9B792B4F-08D0-4292-9C5B-66DF7CD89629.jpeg 52C680C9-9549-4B30-A336-9026A457DA6B.jpeg ADC36F1F-3ADF-4DF5-B01E-71A29914C88D.jpeg 20BA24B7-E713-4366-9041-769794430F77.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef Fam I purchased this Lyretail anthias and has been in my observation tank for 2 weeks now.now it’s developing what appears to be brook or ick . Can some one help me identify and if possible recommend treatment . Thanks in advance.

4C6262D5-D1B7-40E6-9439-2256961721B8.jpeg 79270F59-D737-4CF8-912A-C50BD81465F3.jpeg 9B792B4F-08D0-4292-9C5B-66DF7CD89629.jpeg 52C680C9-9549-4B30-A336-9026A457DA6B.jpeg ADC36F1F-3ADF-4DF5-B01E-71A29914C88D.jpeg 20BA24B7-E713-4366-9041-769794430F77.jpeg

Hi,

What other fish are in with it? Something has been attacking it, or it has acute fin rot (but that is really rare).

The fish also appears to have ich. You should never give a fish like this just observation time - much better to treat prophylactically. I suggest holding a fish for 48 to 72 hours and then starting a preventative coppersafe treatment. The trouble is that copper takes 3 days to really get working, so if you add it say, tomorrow, you won't see any benefit until Monday - and the fish will be very sick by then. You could also try hyposalinity, but anthias don't awlays do well with that due to another disease, Uronema.

The first page on this link is where I keep my current quarantine protocol:

Let me know if you have any follow up questions!

Jay

OP
OP
Hugo’s_Reef

Hugo’s_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

What other fish are in with it? Something has been attacking it, or it has acute fin rot (but that is really rare).

The fish also appears to have ich. You should never give a fish like this just observation time - much better to treat prophylactically. I suggest holding a fish for 48 to 72 hours and then starting a preventative coppersafe treatment. The trouble is that copper takes 3 days to really get working, so if you add it say, tomorrow, you won't see any benefit until Monday - and the fish will be very sick by then. You could also try hyposalinity, but anthias don't awlays do well with that due to another disease, Uronema.

The first page on this link is where I keep my current quarantine protocol:

Let me know if you have any follow up questions!

Jay
Thank you

he is actually in the tank by himself .might start copper power tonight. Fish is still eating well .

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you

he is actually in the tank by himself .might start copper power tonight. Fish is still eating well .
Then it must be acute bacterial fin rot - very rare, most fin rot starts off as mechanical damage. That may need to be treated along with the ich, keep an eye on the fins to make sure the erosion doesn’t keep going.
I would start copper power tonight…..
Jay

OP
OP
Hugo’s_Reef

Hugo’s_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then it must be acute bacterial fin rot - very rare, most fin rot starts off as mechanical damage. That may need to be treated along with the ich, keep an eye on the fins to make sure the erosion doesn’t keep going.
I would start copper power tonight…..
Jay
Will the copper power take care of the fin rot ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the copper power take care of the fin rot ?
No - that is only for protozoan diseases. Fin rot is bacterial. Treating for ich and a bacterial disease at the same time is difficult, both diseases weaken the fish, making the other disease more able to gain a foothold. Then, copper takes 3 days to start to work and antibiotics can take 5 to 7 days. What antibiotics do you have available? You want something that affects gram negative bacteria; Maracyn 2, Neoplex, Furan-2 perhaps.

Jay

OP
OP
Hugo’s_Reef

Hugo’s_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - that is only for protozoan diseases. Fin rot is bacterial. Treating for ich and a bacterial disease at the same time is difficult, both diseases weaken the fish, making the other disease more able to gain a foothold. Then, copper takes 3 days to start to work and antibiotics can take 5 to 7 days. What antibiotics do you have available? You want something that affects gram negative bacteria; Maracyn 2, Neoplex, Furan-2 perhaps.

Jay
Hello jay
I have a quick question . Do you think it’s possible for the fin rot to go away on its own?

i completed the 30 day in copper treatment. The ick looks to have gone away. Also have kept it in qt tank for several weeks after copper under observation. I purchased the neo plex, but all good finds are back. They have re-grown.

anthias looks good and it’s eating well. The only thing is it has a awkward swim pattern. It likes to swim with its nose straight up when I feed to the point where sometimes it will do “back flips”

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello jay
I have a quick question . Do you think it’s possible for the fin rot to go away on its own?

i completed the 30 day in copper treatment. The ick looks to have gone away. Also have kept it in qt tank for several weeks after copper under observation. I purchased the neo plex, but all good finds are back. They have re-grown.

anthias looks good and it’s eating well. The only thing is it has a awkward swim pattern. It likes to swim with its nose straight up when I feed to the point where sometimes it will do “back flips”

Can you post a short video of the anthias? I'm struggling to understand what behavior you are describing.

Fin rot often goes away on its own, but if the infection goes down to the skeleton, it is either fatal, or the fish won't be able to heal. If just the soft/clear portions of the fins are involved, the fish very often get better.

Jay

OP
OP
Hugo’s_Reef

Hugo’s_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a short video of the anthias? I'm struggling to understand what behavior you are describing.

Fin rot often goes away on its own, but if the infection goes down to the skeleton, it is either fatal, or the fish won't be able to heal. If just the soft/clear portions of the fins are involved, the fish very often get better.

Jay
here is a short video . I just think he swims a little weird but I might be over thinking it. Let me know what you think .

thanks again

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a short video . I just think he swims a little weird but I might be over thinking it. Let me know what you think .

thanks again

I don't see any signs of swim bladder or neurological disease, and the feeding response is pretty good. I wonder if what you are seeing is anticipatory behavior - looking for you to add food? You should feed this fish small amounts of food frequently throughout the day.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back