168DB786-0AD4-4EC8-AAFD-3A05BE11541E.png
168DB786-0AD4-4EC8-AAFD-3A05BE11541E.png

ChgoGoodGirl

Oooo Ill take that one... & that one... & that one
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a peanut worm or a feather duster out of it's tube, with no crown.

Is it alive or dead?

ChgoGoodGirl

Oooo Ill take that one... & that one... & that one
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you didn't have a feather duster then my guess is a dead peanut worm. Someone else here might have a better idea though.

Wet Work

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly likely that it is a vermetid snail shell. They're an annoying pest that proliferate in any system that is heavily broadcast fed. To control populations, the shells can either be crushed or sealed with cyanoacrylate gel. If left unchecked, they can reproduce and spread at a rapid pace to the point where the slime nets they cast -- 2 - 5" long, irritate nearby corals.

OP
OP
W

WilliamTideReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly likely that it is a vermetid snail shell. They're an annoying pest that proliferate in any system that is heavily broadcast fed. To control populations, the shells can either be crushed or sealed with cyanoacrylate gel. If left unchecked, they can reproduce and spread at a rapid pace to the point where the slime nets they cast -- 2 - 5" long, irritate nearby corals.
Can you elaborate on broadcast fed?

Wet Work

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate on broadcast fed?

Of course. Broadcast feeding is mixing any small particle food, coral foods in particular (Polyp Lab, for instance) with a bit of tank water then pouring it into the system with the main pump off, allowing the internal circulation to disperse it, then turning off those pumps as well. It's popular with those that have large SPS populations as it is an ideal way to feed SPS, particularly in larger sytems.

OP
OP
W

WilliamTideReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course. Broadcast feeding is mixing any small particle food, coral foods in particular (Polyp Lab, for instance) with a bit of tank water then pouring it into the system with the main pump off, allowing the internal circulation to disperse it, then turning off those pumps as well. It's popular with those that have large SPS populations as it is an ideal way to feed SPS, particularly in larger sytems.
Awesome thanks for teaching me something today!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back