Help IDing these dots

rawbomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me figure out what these dots on my purple tang are? The tang has been in copper power at 2ppm for 13 days today and i just noticed these. He did come in with ich and possibly velvet but is eating well along with the other 3 fish in the QT. None have shown signs of ich or velvet since i got the copper at 1.5.

I also have been testing every 3 days after reaching 2ppm with a hanna checker.

Screenshot_20191212-193719_Photos.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper only kills Ich/velvet in the "free swimming" stage. So the spots could be left over mucous wounds from parasites that were already attached and recently dropped off of your fish.

Another possibility is that the spots may be Lymphocystis. If the spots are raised a bit and cottony/fibrous looking. It's a harmless virus, much like the human herpes virus. In fish it is the result of a lowered immune system. Which is what happens when you treat a fish in copper, its immune system is suppressed. Copper is after all a poison.

OP
OP
R

rawbomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem a little pointy if that helps. Doesn't show up as well in the photo.

OP
OP
R

rawbomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be at a lost if it was ich. Not sure how i messed up testing with the hanna. It has been stable between 2.01 and 2.1 this last week.

I have been using prime to cut down on the water changes, work has kept me late the last week.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i just extend the copper treatment?

Yes copper for 30 days to be safe. As @Big G stated it could possibly be Lympho or mucus wounds left over for the initial parasite.

If you have a second QT tank you can transfer for observation afterwards to ensure the medications did its job and the fish show no signs before transferring to Display.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back