Help ID'ing this conch/snail?

Vaughn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just popped up a few days ago, no clue where he came from, can anyone ID based on the shell? (ignore the aptasia)

0802221607a_HDR.jpg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a non-spiny species of murex or associated genus.
+1. These are predatory snails that feed on other mollusks and are thus unsuitable for most reef aquariums. There are also a few pest Vermetid snails in the picture that produce a mucus that can irritate corals.
@Vaughn where/how did you obtain the rock in the picture? It does not appear to be aragonite based.

OP
OP
V

Vaughn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. These are predatory snails that feed on other mollusks and are thus unsuitable for most reef aquariums. There are also a few pest Vermetid snails in the picture that produce a mucus that can irritate corals.
@Vaughn where/how did you obtain the rock in the picture? It does not appear to be aragonite based.
alright thanks for the info, as for the rock I am not 100% certain this isn't my tank it's my tech-illiterate father's. But I believe he got most of his live rock from a friend of his who had leftover rock in his sump. Its POSSIBLE that its a 20+ year old piece of rock that got pulled from somewhere down in florida when he travelled down there.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back