HELP! Idk if my sea anemone is okay :(

kikiteamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I’ve had a 5 gallon saltwater tank for about 2 weeks now, however I bought the entire tank from the store so it’s not new either. I’ve had a Haitian Reef Anemone, and I don’t understand it’s behavior. The day before yesterday, his mouth was really open and he pooped a lot of brown stuff which stuck to him, even though I thought waste was expelled through the mouth and floated up, and was really deflated. I figured out it was because of the lighting. He opened up and reinflated and also gained his color back. Now, however, he has more stuff all around him. And his tentacles go from stringy to inflated. I’ve heard about anemones bleaching, but I don’t necessarily understand what that means and how to treat it. This is him now. He’s in a tank with 2 clownfish, 2 hermit crabs, and a snail. I was told this amount of animals is okay, however I’ve had a feeling it’s a bit small ?

C1179B16-9D6F-439A-8BAA-B53E8F25054D.jpeg E52FD96E-0342-4299-96C0-BAA4DF9B53BA.jpeg 17CC39B3-3FB2-4EB2-BBF2-B37FA5714D78.jpeg

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s nem is not happy you should not have bought it. Even if you bought your tank from the store doesn’t mean it’s cycled. Nems need at least a 6 month old tank and I wouldn’t recommend it on that either. Nems do best in a tank thats been there for a year or two and has lots of blue light, as white light is not really beneficial, and a steady nutrition intake. he is going through ammonia shock guarantee it and is very likely to die. You need to surrender him to someone who know how to care for him and who has an established tank. And on a side note 5 gal isn’t big enough for a anemone anyway they get way to big, if cared for probably. So you know bleaching is when the temp in your tank is either way to high, way to cold, or constantly swing with temp change.

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately if the same store sold you the anemone, they should be avoided at all costs as they've basically set you up for failure and heart ache.

Rather urgently try find a suitable mature tank that can take it and leave your tank to cycle while you read up and YouTube on how to setup and care for a reef aquarium. As already stated, 5 gallon is going to be too small for most livestock and difficult to keep stable.

OP
OP
K

kikiteamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s nem is not happy you should not have bought it. Even if you bought your tank from the store doesn’t mean it’s cycled. Nems need at least a 6 month old tank and I wouldn’t recommend it on that either. Nems do best in a tank thats been there for a year or two and has lots of blue light, as white light is not really beneficial, and a steady nutrition intake. he is going through ammonia shock guarantee it and is very likely to die. You need to surrender him to someone who know how to care for him and who has an established tank. And on a side note 5 gal isn’t big enough for a anemone anyway they get way to big, if cared for probably. So you know bleaching is when the temp in your tank is either way to high, way to cold, or constantly swing with temp change.
Then it’s def the lighting and spacing. Thank you! When we received the tank, it was already occupied by 2 clownfish and an established tank but I don’t think it was for no more than 2-4 months and came with a white light. The woman at the store said it was okay to simply put the anemone inside the tank. Never mentioned having to need a certain light, or the spacing. But I’ve already purchased a 29 gallon to upgrade them too once it’s cycled. Except for the anemone now! He’ll stay until it’s cycled for the necessary amount of time.

OP
OP
K

kikiteamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately if the same store sold you the anemone, they should be avoided at all costs as they've basically set you up for failure and heart ache.

Rather urgently try find a suitable mature tank that can take it and leave your tank to cycle while you read up and YouTube on how to setup and care for a reef aquarium. As already stated, 5 gallon is going to be too small for most livestock and difficult to keep stable.
I’ve already started doing said research because I know the clownfish themselves need the spacing. I’ve already purchased a 29 gallon that’s been cycling for them.

OP
OP
K

kikiteamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for telling me what bleaching is! I search and search but I never got a simple explanation lol luckily we have a really good heater, so the temp never changes unless we have the A/C on, but it only goes down by 1

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29 gallons may be fine, but you should definitely put that anemone in a mature tank and with a person who has the proper equipment to maintain it. 5 gallons is not enough for any fish or marine organism IMO, anemones are invertebrates that require a mature tank, water quality and a lot of lighting, I do not blame you because when I was a rookie I also bought them without knowing how to maintain them, but it's better to leave it in the hands of an aquarist with more experience, maybe in a while you can get yours, if I were you, I would return that 5 gallon tank to the store, tell them it was useless.

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a previous fish store employee, never 100% trust what they tell you. I would'nt put much thought into what I told people, just cared if they would buy a coral or not. Do your research, and I mean it. This hobby only works if you know what your doing. Your 5 gallon tank isnt ready for any type of coral. That light looks far too white, and most likely does'nt have that correct spectrum for anemones. Flow, filtration, lighting, peramiters, ect. need to be in check before anything. Theres a ton of really good advice out there for you. I personally dont think your tank is suitible for that anemone, but you can make it work If you get everything in check. Id start with the lighting and go from there. This budget light is a good option for a 5g

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a previous fish store employee, never 100% trust what they tell you. I would'nt put much thought into what I told people, just cared if they would buy a coral or not. Do your research, and I mean it. This hobby only works if you know what your doing. Your 5 gallon tank isnt ready for any type of coral. That light looks far too white, and most likely does'nt have that correct spectrum for anemones. Flow, filtration, lighting, peramiters, ect. need to be in check before anything. Theres a ton of really good advice out there for you. I personally dont think your tank is suitible for that anemone, but you can make it work If you get everything in check. Id start with the lighting and go from there. This budget light is a good option for a 5g

Actually that light will not grow nems!! I’ve had it before the nem died within two weeks get yourself a orbit marine lighthttps://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Aquarium-Wireless-Controller/dp/B08J4J8CZ1/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=ADRS3P40KAS4&dchild=1&keywords=current+orbit+marine+led&qid=1630422188&sprefix=current+orbit+&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExV0xQUU0xQzk5SFU0JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjU4NjQ5MzMzQUM1QVRFRVE2UiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDI4MDEwMVg0MzA4WVZHMU1aMiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl This is the best light for the money you will love it

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems do need a mature tank, but the "minimum tank run time" is bogus. I've successfully kept anemones in tanks less than 3 months old. It's all about stability and having proper lighting.

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems do need a mature tank, but the "minimum tank run time" is bogus. I've successfully kept anemones in tanks less than 3 months old. It's all about stability and having proper lighting.
It’s not just about stability it’s about being experienced enough to do something like that and it’s also about being safe and coral care. Just because you think it’s ok to keep in in a three month old tank doesn’t mean it is odds are the nem will be so stressed out it will die just because you thought it was fine and you couldn’t wait. I respect experienced owns doing this but never beginners!!!!!!

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not just about stability it’s about being experienced enough to do something like that and it’s also about being safe and coral care. Just because you think it’s ok to keep in in a three month old tank doesn’t mean it is odds are the nem will be so stressed out it will die just because you thought it was fine and you couldn’t wait. I respect experienced owns doing this but never beginners!!!!!!
Beginner here, after 6 months my rainbow and green BTA's are still doing great lol The whole "you have to wait at least 6 months to own an anemone" is just a lazy cop-out. I get it, it's just easier to say that than to explain the needs of the animal and what a stable system should be. Doesn't mean it's a fact though, and it shouldn't be presented as one. 2 weeks is seriously pushing it though, that aquarium is far to new for much of anything.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nem doesnt look bad. What exact light are you running? It has no blues at all?

OP
OP
K

kikiteamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched the light and he crawled under the rock, closer to the water flow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
K

kikiteamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nem doesnt look bad. What exact light are you running? It has no blues at all?
I had to grab a light that I’ve used for one of my freshwater tanks, it’s blue, but I’m pretty sure it’s still not enough for him :(

Attachments

• 65213696813__9FF6B0CC-1954-4895-B996-B9DC8F3149F5.MOV
    454.4 KB
OP
OP
K

kikiteamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with what they have done to you already, i would take anything they say at that store with a grain of salt. they either know very little, or simply dont care, and are just looking to make a buck, or both.
Yeah I’ve actually haven’t went back for this sole reason. I’ve been going into more known aquarium stores and asking questions before I do anything now

OP
OP
K

kikiteamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly recommend more research on species you intend to keep. There's plenty of reputable resources here in the anemone forum and elsewhere. Best of luck to this poor little guy. Hope he makes it.
I honestly wish I would’ve found this site sooo much sooner, would’ve saved a lot of confusion and probably more prepared

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back