help in ID

Matta Simaan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello

this type of green algae shown early within my system after the diatom bloom has gone; i had a phosphate issue that dealt with; since then the phosphate always measure 0..it was a green discoloration on the rocks within the light bearing areas; have never grow anything..

the system age 4 months; the green thing haven't grown till the last two weeks - since then it have been growing slowly; now having a small cotton-hairy appearance (pic included); very hard to remove from the rocks GHL mitras 6300 is the newest piece of equipment to the system; 10 hours light including sunset and sunrise at max 40%; nitrate around 5 ppm; no ammonia or nitrite or phosphate; using ro/di water since day 1;

fishes is within quarantine know (ich outbreak); within the system having 1 fire shrimp; 1 cleaner shrimp; 2 electric hermit crab; 4 turbo snails...

can you help me ID and get rid of it...

thanks in advance; pics inculded
DSC07508.JPG
DSC07509.jpg

Jim Fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the beginnings of hair algae. With no fish in the tank I gather you are not feeding any foods so you shouldn't have anything really feeding the algae besides the light. How far is the light fixture from the water's surface and how deep is the tank? Also, is the tank near a window or a place where natural sunlight is hitting it directly? I really don't recommend any treatments at this point because you don't have any fish in the tank... no fish no food source to create nitrates and phosphates and it will most likely go away on it's own. If anything you could run some GFO just for good measure.

Jim

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 months is still a very young tank, we experienced the alge outbreak at around 5 months. We reduced the lights schedule to 6 hours, cut back on the amount of food going in, picked what we could, cleaned the rock with a tooth brush, vacuumed and water change. It took time but finally won the battle. It's not an overnight battle, it took about a month.

OP
OP
M

Matta Simaan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thnanks for your replay
Light is 10 inches above water level.. water is 20 deep.. no direct sunlight .. and running gfo..

If it so.. why the turbos dont love it.. and next week the fishes will come back to DT.. what to do.. actively remove?? Or leave it to the tang..

OP
OP
M

Matta Simaan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming that i will choose to brush all the rocks.. in that way all the nasty green things will be in the water column until they catched by the filter sock.. is it ok?? To Do it at one time or several times with each one for small area..??

Jim Fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much eats hair algae. An urchin can help with it though especially with it being short in length. I agree with hdsofttail1065 that cutting back on the light schedule should help and picking what you can to manually remove it. It definitely will not go away anytime soon and you will need to be patient in getting rid of it.

OP
OP
M

Matta Simaan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. will do the brush think.. wc .. and lower the lights duration.. thnx for advice

Jim Fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming that i will choose to brush all the rocks.. in that way all the nasty green things will be in the water column until they catched by the filter sock.. is it ok?? To Do it at one time or several times with each one for small area..??

I wouldn't brush the rocks off in the tank itself as like you stated it will get make the water look nasty and all. The idea is to get a bucket and fill it with some saltwater (from your tank or freshly made batch), then scrub the rock in the bucket, then rinse the rock in different bucket of saltwater and then place it back in your tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back