Help in ID

Yrevanth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have been having a lot of issues with this brownish algae growth over all rock surfaces, which is impacting the growth of my corals as well. Can you please help me id this algae and help control it?

Parameters: dkh:10, cal : 450 ppm, mag:1300 ppm. No detectable nitrates or phosphates, but I think this is due to the algae taking up all of the nutrients.

I have a 2 year old Red Sea 525XL, primarily sps with the following fish load:

3 Bartlett anthias
3 lyretail anthias
1 Lamarks angel
1 foxface
1 blonde naso tang
1 flame tail blenny
3 fire fish
1 golden head sleeper goby
2 clowns

I feed freeze dried food 4 times a day in small quantities and one proper feeding of frozen LRS food per day. I dose the brs cal and alk.

Thanks,
Rev

1960BE99-3E50-42D0-AA23-2176EC426D71.jpeg E27E447B-B7E9-4947-AAAE-D4E8D784008E.jpeg

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see it well, either hair (which you have preds?) or most likely diotoms

OP
OP
Y

Yrevanth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know if it’s diatoms as they don’t blow away easily when I use a turkey baster etc

OP
OP
Y

Yrevanth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. There is some brownish algae on the aquarium walls which develops some bubbles, but that is only when I let the algae accumulate on the glass. I have not seen bubbles in the rock

OP
OP
Y

Yrevanth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I forgot to mention is that the blenny, the tang and the foxface seem to pick at the fuzzy stuff on the rocks

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like gha to me. Whites are the way to go for pictures. Makes ID not just easier but possible.

I'm surprised the herbivores aren't eating more of it. Maybe it's growing faster than they can consume?

OP
OP
Y

Yrevanth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pecking at it, but to your point it grows much faster I guess.

So, now that we have an ID, what’s the solution? Blackout for 2-3 days? Or gfo and carbon?

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blackouts tend to be temporary solutions with the algae just growing back once the normal light schedule is resumed in my experience. It's got to be nutrients or light. You've have this tank up for 2 years you mentioned. When did this issue first arise and what changes did you make before hand, even if it was months ago? Feeding, lights, rocks, fish, etc.

OP
OP
Y

Yrevanth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only things i changed is the salt and the skimmer. I upgragded the skimmer and changed salt to red sea coral pro. Light intenstity has remained the same for a long time. It may be that my ro/di filters are due to be upgraded. Should i run some GFO and see if that helps, while doing some water changes?

OP
OP
Y

Yrevanth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this calothrix? From more research, this is what it looks like..:( any help is appreciated!

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't run GFO if your nutrients are zero. What test kits are you using for these? I'm wondering if they have the accuracy and refinement needed for nutrient and algae control purposes.

Water changes could fuel more growth by adding trace elements like Fe. Something like Chemiclean may work for this, but I'm finding it hard to believe nutrients are at zero with that much growth which is why I ask about the brand of test kits used.

OP
OP
Y

Yrevanth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using all Red Sea gets kits

I took the water to 2 different LfS as well, they confirmed the same readings..:(

I just ordered some vibrant to see if that would work. I also changed my filters for the Rodi unit

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably have only organic sources of nutrients then. They don't show up on hobby grade test kits. Red Sea is a good brand for test kits. Most LFS use API which is much less reliable. Let us know how the Vibrant works and be sure to follow the directions. Keep in mind it can take 2 rounds before results are seen.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back