HELP! Introduced a Platinum into tank with black clown. Black clown is not happy! WHAT DO I DO?!

Cfellini91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I traded some frags to my LFS and used the credit to get a new fish. (Currently I have a 6-Line wrasse, coral beauty angel and a black clown in 30g tank).
I picked up a platinum clown. I asked the guy how he think she'd do with my black clown I have had for a year and he said as long as the black clown is bigger they should be fine. The platinum is 1/3 smaller than the black clown. I introduced the platinum into the tank and the black one keeps going up and nipping and pushing the platinum into the top back corner. I put in a mesh box in the tank and put the black clown in it. I am letting the platinum get used to the tank. The black one is in the mesh box and keeps ni[[ing the net when the platinum swims by. (Pictures below. Link to video https://youtu.be/nnpcy44OZN4 )

The black one lost its partner last year after a damsel (no longer have) bullied her out of the tank. They were bonded six months and the smaller one, the one I have, should be male. This one was the smallest platinum the LFS, so might be male too(?).

What do I do?

Do I keep the platinum in the mesh box and take the black one out? Should I set up my 3g QT and put one in there and wait a few days? Do I let them go at it tomorrow and see if by night they can work it out? Should I trade my black clown in for a baby one at the LFS and introduce it, brand new, to the tank and my brand new platinum? Thoughts? Opinions?

Also, no, I do not have an anemone.

IMG_7496.jpeg IMG_7497.jpeg

OP
OP
Cfellini91

Cfellini91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @sprungson! The black one sure seems ticked that the platinum gets to explore its new tank while she has been put on time out in the mesh. I just wasn't sure if I should have put the new clown in the mesh or not. The platinum is posting up by the black one and seems to want to be by her, but she seems like if she was to get through the mesh she would be a grumpy old lady.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
perfect move give a couple days ,release ,see what happens,be ready to grab her again,just in case it takes a few days longer :)

OP
OP
Cfellini91

Cfellini91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @fishguy242 . The reenforcement is encouraging ha. I have lost like 4 fish that jumped out because of being bullied and I don't wanna lose any more ha. Appreciate it!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back