Help- is EB4 fried?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

merfish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, while attempting to mount my EB4 in my stand, it fell into my fuge. It wasn't plugged in (so no power) and there was nothing plugged into the unit.
Pretty sure that it wasn't fully submerged but very certain that it hit the water. Any suggestions on what my options are?

Hoping that I don't have to buy another unit.

Terrance

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, while attempting to mount my EB4 in my stand, it fell into my fuge. It wasn't plugged in (so no power) and there was nothing plugged into the unit.
Pretty sure that it wasn't fully submerged but very certain that it hit the water. Any suggestions on what my options are?

Hoping that I don't have to buy another unit.

Terrance
you need to take it apart NOW.. NOT LATER and rinse with clean water then spray everything with wd40..

if you let the salt water dry in there you are pretty much doomed..

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above, but if it happened to me, I'll use Isopropyl Alcohol instead of WD40. And wait a few days to make sure it is completely dry.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
true.. alcohol probably better than wd40.

if it were me.. wd40 (which stands for water displacement formula 40) then alcohol followed my a good blow with an air compressor.

the problem is that salt is really nasty on soldier connections and boards. It will create little deposits that will cause arcing between the circuits on the board.

of you let it dry already.. alcohol or "wire dryer" found at any auto parts store and a toothbrush should be used to clean everything you can get to.. q tips for usb..etc.

let us know how it turns out!!

OP
OP
merfish101

merfish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for asking. I did as suggested, opened it up and cleaned it with alcohol, then left it open to ensure that it was dry. Once done and closed back up it's not working. Well, I have power on 3 of the 4 outlets but one isn't working. Also, the yellow and green LEDs at the bottom for the Ethernet and Aquabus cables light up but when the display unit is plugged in, there's no readout. The display unit lights up but it's a blank screen . The status LED doesn't light up either.

OP
OP
merfish101

merfish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about going with the classic model. Correct me if I'm wrong, but believe it's just the matter of getting the brain and another EB8.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back