Help......is Temperature too high for SPS???

ReefRDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased some SPS Corals. A couple of plating montis, a green slimer and a staghorn acro.The Temp inside my NanoCube 28 HQI will sometimes reach 81 degrees. Is is bad for my SPS corals????? My zoanthids and LPS have been doing really well with NO signs of problems. I have an Azoo Cooling fan running and have switched from running two Koralias to a Vortech MP10 to reduce heat. I really want to try an avoid a chiller but have even thought about switching over to the NanoTuners LED Retro Kit to reduce heat.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly I don't think it is too high for SPS or any coral. The key is with sps is to be consistent. If you got big temp swings up and down from 81 then I would be worried most about that.

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you know optimum temperature allowing for fluctuation both ways is 77 or 78 degrees. My tank stays around 78-80 and my sps have good color and moderate growth. I think as long as you have consistency in everything including temp your sps will do fine.

OP
OP
ReefRDude

ReefRDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Guys for the quick response........Your info is much appreciated. My tank stays around 77-80 and sometimes hits 81.

joker295

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats not too bad of a swing.. i know guys that keep their tank at 82 .. so your good..

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
82 here and on 100 degree days it goes up to 83. my temps swing from 81-82 on average. as long as there's good flow, you don't have anything to worry about.

manimtheman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank w/Hqi 150mg w actinic pc upgrade. And belive it or not. A stand alone fan like one that would go in your bed room helps more than anything. Set it any where just have it poiting toward your tank in the room. It gets that top nice and cool with fresh non stagnant air with this simple thing. I laughed when I my chiller hardlys is used now. Cause of fan and air movment
Thanks Guys for the quick response........Your info is much appreciated. My tank stays around 77-80 and sometimes hits 81.

Last edited:

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
82 is bearable for sps, try using a nice fan to blow on the water surface to reduce the heat induced my the HQI. In my experience it disperses the hot emissions from your HQI else where other than your tank. This will easily reduce 2-5 degrees.

OP
OP
ReefRDude

ReefRDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank w/Hqi 150mg w actinic pc upgrade. And belive it or not. A stand alone fan like one that would go in your bed room helps more than anything. Set it any where just have it poiting toward your tank in the room. It gets that top nice and cool with fresh non stagnant air with this simple thing. I laughed when I my chiller hardlys is used now. Cause of fan and air movment

Thanks Man.....I'm gonna give the fan thing a try. I have very good flow w/ my Vortech mp10. I was afraid I was gonna have to fork out $350.00 for an LED retro Kit. Now I can use that money for a much better skimmer

OP
OP
ReefRDude

ReefRDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!!!!!! I have only been a member here for a couple days and I have gotten more help here than I have gotten on that "Other" forum in Six Months!!!!! They Must not like my avatar!!! HeHeHe!!!!! You guys are a wealth of Knowledge. Thanks to revhtree for bringing me aboard!!!!!

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for my tank, at 84 I am sweating.. anything 82-76 I am happy with so long as it doesnt do that rapidly. mine will swong up to 80.8 in the day (chiller on temp) and then to 78.5 at night if the night is cool.

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The average annual temperature of most coral reefs is around 82 to 84 degrees Fahrenheit (27 to 28 degrees Celsius)(see Table I and Figure 1), which seems to be the optimum for coral growth (Barnes et al. 1995, Clausen and Roth 1975, Weber and White 1976, Coles and Jokiel 1977 and 1978, Highsmith 1979). The commonly advised mini-reef temperatures of 74 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit (22 to 25 degrees Celsius) are stressing most of the animals unnecessarily and, in some cases, severely."

Ron Shimek's Website...Critters

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back