sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how toxic are they in the last 4 years of posts in the zoanthid forum

all reef forums not just ours
There are reports of poisoning mentioned in every forum. Maybe not common, but they are out there. Here's the thing. We know about it, we know its dangerous. Whats worse, approaching things with an abundance of caution which results in no real harm done even if it was overly cautious, or definitively stating something that may be harmful is not with no real proof?

OP thats just coral poop or slime. Still won't hurt to be cautious and your approach to this dipping shouldn't change whether you think you see toxin in the water or not.

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthids are also toxic
Zoanthids (which is apparently refers to all corals of the Zoanthraria order) include the genus Palythoa, which is toxic as mentioned above, but no other Zoanthid genus has been shown to contain palytoxin.

Here's an excellent 2-part series by an esteemed zoologist discussing Zoa toxicity:

Palytoxin has only been found in Palytho spp. (spp is the abbreviation for plural species), some dinoflaggelates (Ostreopsis spp.) and some cyanobacteria (Trichodesmium spp.)

If you have more literature or examples, then please share and correct me.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think your tank is infected. I've had the same stuff enter my system, and nothing happened. Run fresh carbon if you're so concerned.
I’m not concerned with the corals mentioned above. .
But use extreme caution when handling palys .

Scary thing up until recently reading so many cases , I never wore gloves , eye protection and only a few times felt a little off hours later .
image.jpg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthids (which is apparently refers to all corals of the Zoanthraria order) include the genus Palythoa, which is toxic as mentioned above, but no other Zoanthid genus has been shown to contain palytoxin.

Here's an excellent 2-part series by an esteemed zoologist discussing Zoa toxicity:

Palytoxin has only been found in Palytho spp. (spp is the abbreviation for plural species), some dinoflaggelates (Ostreopsis spp.) and some cyanobacteria (Trichodesmium spp.)

There was a study and video I was watching with Julian sprung a few nights ago .
there are many different species of zoa and paly that produce palytoxin and different levels of toxin from mild to extreme . I’ll try to find the link if it actually matters.
but as mentioned above . If everything is treated as having the most extreme toxin and to handle with care , those that have and handle them are aware of the possible risks . Educate new members of the potential risks of handing them or even proper ppe and procedures to handle .
Everything should be good .

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Courtney its neat you found that I truly thought z sociatus would have at least some but just not enough to be stat significant compared to the constant handling josh pork sandwich and all his friends do with them harmlessly.

Steve Erekson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are reports of Parazoanthus spp having it as well as well. Unfortunately I don't have full access to the article so I don't know the details : https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18433818/

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost EVRYTHING in the previous posts are correct. Some are...some aren't ….very dangerous … hardly dangerous. Most of it depends on the individual person's immune system. A bee sting simply irritates me but could kill another … latex materials have no affect on most but can throw others into Anaphylactic shock. Take standard precautions: gloves, eye protection, well ventilated area. Respect "Ma Nature" and the unseen powers she possesses.

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are reports of Parazoanthus spp having it as well as well. Unfortunately I don't have full access to the article so I don't know the details : https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18433818/
Thanks for finding. Here's the article you found (attached). It mentions other species besides Palythoa contain palytoxin including Protopalythoa, Zoanthus and Parazoanthus.

Attachments

• Toxicon2008_Kauferstein_Palytoxin poisoning by Parazoanthus spp.pdf
    534.1 KB · Views: 206

Steve Erekson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for finding. Here's the article you found (attached). It mentions other species besides Palythoa contain palytoxin including Protopalythoa, Zoanthus and Parazoanthus.

Nice, thanks for providing the paper. Really interesting that the specimen they ID'd as Palythoa sp. in this case study showed no signs of palytoxin in their test yet the Parazoanthus did. They also cited a few other papers (that I can't read) with further information on other corals that might contain it.

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There seems to be a lot more awareness and concern about palytoxin recently and that's good for both reefers and the corals. Downplaying the danger or making some feel dumb for being concerned should be avoided, but the risk is extremely low. It's even lower if one is wearing gloves and eyewear while practicing basic hygiene.

Yes, a man has died recently in Texas. It's very sad and maybe if he was made aware about the risk, he would still be with us and his family would not be going through the pain they are no doubt going through now. He was likely allergic. 100 plus Americans die from bee sings every single year. It's important to know there is risk, but equally important to assess that risk in context. I still wear gloves and glasses when handling any coral. It's simply a good idea.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back