Help-is this what velvet looks like?

candelloro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this 2.5 G reef has been running since May 26. I’ve noticed this little brown algae type of thing forming on the suction cups. Now I’ve lost 3 fish during different times in this tank (I didn’t have 3 fish all in the tank at the same time) and I was wondering if this is what velvet looks like on surfaces or is it just diatoms?

Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10 ppm
SG-1.024
pH-8.2
Temp-78
9A3F3261-2A73-411C-AC16-90DDC2E57597.jpeg

OP
OP
candelloro

candelloro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you Can only spot velvet on fish without a microscope.

Not sure what that is but unlikely velvet
So does velvet occur naturally in some tanks or does it only occur with a fish that already has it?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does velvet occur naturally in some tanks or does it only occur with a fish that already has it?

It has to come on a fish and much less frequently can be introduced via corals etc.

What kind of symptoms did your fish exhibit before they died? Any spots, marks, wounds on the dead fish?

OP
OP
candelloro

candelloro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has to come on a fish and much less frequently can be introduced via corals etc.

What kind of symptoms did your fish exhibit before they died? Any spots, marks, wounds on the dead fish?
No spots or wounds, just fast breathing. I had a possum wrasse die on me first and had a firefish die of the same symptoms. I did have a watchman goby for a good month with no issues but he got aggressive surprisingly so I took him back to the lfs. I did find out my dissolved oxygen levels were low because of a plastic lid I used but have since taken it off about 2 days ago. I think it was my oxygen but I felt a little paranoid

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have good flow in the tank? Pumps pointed to the surface?

In 2.5g? Tank O2 could get depleted extremely quickly and I would say at max you could keep 1 saltwater fish like a clown.

OP
OP
candelloro

candelloro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have good flow in the tank? Pumps pointed to the surface?

In 2.5g? Tank O2 could get depleted extremely quickly and I would say at max you could keep 1 saltwater fish like a clown.
Don’t worry, my oxygen is fine now, I found a better power head for surface movement that isn’t too strong and now my levels are ok. I also removed the plastic lid cause it trapped heat as well. I’m planning on going with one damsel in the tank instead

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back