Help! Kole Tang is sick

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I came home and notice my kole tang not moving much at the bottom corner of my tank... I don't know what wrong with him. He's breathing a little heavy. I was able to catch him with no struggle, and put him into my sump. Is there any medication I can use to help? I appreciate anyone who has experienced this with any tang/fish that can help. Thanks!

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics? Any recent changes to tank? (lighting, flow, dosing) What are your current params? How long has it been in your tank & what other inhabitants do you have in your tank?

OP
OP
J

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics? Any recent changes to tank? (lighting, flow, dosing) What are your current params? How long has it been in your tank & what other inhabitants do you have in your tank?

- Sorry, no pics, but don't see any injury markings on him
- No changes to the tank
- It's been in my tank for 2 years
- Params are the same as two weeks ago which I checked this past weekend, my tank is 10 years old
- I have 2 clowns, 2 anthias, powder blue tang, hippo tang, yellow tang, mandarin, diamond goby, bi-color blenny, swallow tail angel, banggai cardinal, and a chromis which all have been in my tank for 2+ years
- I have a mixed reef tank which has anemones, bubble, torch, hammer, frogspawns...

He would sometimes fight with my other tangs which I see some pretty deep fight marks but he would be okay...

I hope he didn't accidentially eat a bristle worm that sometimes get into my seaweed feeder...

Appreciate your help Mical.

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pics now? How is he doing since being moved in to the sump?

OP
OP
J

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pics now? How is he doing since being moved in to the sump?

he’s a little better. Talked to a LFS and might place him in a QT with some medication if he doesn’t improve.
A8F7CD48-E8DD-4582-ABB4-88BDE9865A9C.jpeg

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moles are notorious for being finicky eaters what have you tried to feed him??

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you've had the Kole tang for 2 years, and you've been keeping fish for 10 years.
Have your tried a freshwater dip? Sometimes this will perk up fish when they have parasitic problems.
I don't feel this is your problem, so not much help.

What is your fish diet?
Sometimes Tangs will be deficient in greens and lack a proper diet. Sorry, I'm not up on the proper terminology. Lacking nutrients and such.

OP
OP
J

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you've had the Kole tang for 2 years, and you've been keeping fish for 10 years.
Have your tried a freshwater dip? Sometimes this will perk up fish when they have parasitic problems.
I don't feel this is your problem, so not much help.

What is your fish diet?
Sometimes Tangs will be deficient in greens and lack a proper diet. Sorry, I'm not up on the proper terminology. Lacking nutrients and such.

I feed my tangs with a sheet of nori twice a day with pellets in the evenings, and mysis shrimp ever other day with vitamin C supplements, so I don't think it's any lack of nutrients... :) Also, I don't think there's any parasite in my tank since I haven't added anything in like 6 months...

I think my Kole Tang might have either accidentally got slightly stung by one of my corals, or ate some sort of crap that just made him a little not right.

Thanks for everyone trying to help.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back