HELP: Live rock not cleaning after bleach/acid baths!

slickdealpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Just wanted to see what people thought. I acquired this rock from a hobbyist who neglected their tank.

I put the rock initially through a 1 week bleach soak, power washed after, then a 1 hour muriatic acid wash, power wash, then a 3 day muriatic acid wash, power wash, sprayed with hydrogen peroxide and scrubbed.

I have no idea why this hair algae is so stubborn. Not to mention, it looks like there's still some red bacteria (not sure what it is). What do you all think? Is the rock safe to go in my tank??

live rock.jpg

Blumy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After all you did, I’d be afraid to add it without a long soak to make it live again.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s attached to the rock, it doesn’t just magically disappear without scrubbing I it off. Then pink spots are normal coralline algae that will never disappear not matter what you do…

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know others have used bleach in the past but I would be nervous putting it in an established tank without it soaking in Saltwater for at least a week or so

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it’s not live rock anymore. I’m just trying to understand why you would essentially kill the rock? I understand scrubbing any algae or aiptasia off of it, but why completely kill all of the bacteria and microfauna?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know others have used bleach in the past but I would be nervous putting it in an established tank without it soaking in Saltwater for at least a week or so

The active ingredient in bleach is incredibly unstable. It breaks down 24 hrs after dilution and is rendered inert once dried completely. There is no risk.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of reasons to reset rock. Usually pest or algae related.

Reef - Tripp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink stains are natural mineral deposits that damage your tank, the bleach and acid are no longer active, but if you want to be sure, put the stone in fresh water and add some antichlor as prime, you can also add Bicarbonate to raise the pH in fact this was after the acid bath and then you can dry it in the sun.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Just wanted to see what people thought. I acquired this rock from a hobbyist who neglected their tank.

I put the rock initially through a 1 week bleach soak, power washed after, then a 1 hour muriatic acid wash, power wash, then a 3 day muriatic acid wash, power wash, sprayed with hydrogen peroxide and scrubbed.

I have no idea why this hair algae is so stubborn. Not to mention, it looks like there's still some red bacteria (not sure what it is). What do you all think? Is the rock safe to go in my tank??

live rock.jpg
Now all that really wasn’t necessary.
you had a perfect rock wit bacteria and coralline and some hair algae. No you have a dead rock with dead coralline dead hair algae left lover and you can start cycle the crock and still brush the rock while a good brush over would have been enough.

you know people pay premium for live rock ;)

View Badges
That hair on rock is like hair on your head ,if you bleach your hair on your head it stays on because its attached same has rock you have to scrub it off.way to make rock safe again is leave in sun for 1 or 2 weeks in rain and sun turn over every few days ,who know the bugs outside might get rid of some of that hair on it.when you bring it in use rodi water cycle rock in a trash can for 6 weeks do a few little water changes when rock is cycled put in tank .while this is going on start cycling tank without rock. Patience is Key.

Blumy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how come?
Lots a chemicals used, bleach, acid… any of that still present and you’ve got a real problem. Live rock has so many more benefits than a few pests you can deal with and will probably wind up getting down the road anyway.

Back