Help! Lost all live stock in 12 hour span!

OP
OP
B

Brandon1014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of wooden air stones but I'm not sure I would count on this as the cause. It is extremely unlikely to have low O2 in a system with an operating skimmer. Your skimmer should be putting more O2 into the water than even a large wooden air stone is capable of.

Do skimmers actually create that much dissolved o2? I know it creates a ton of air bubbles, which would make only make sense that it does. But there's very little surface area. Correct me if I'm wrong but bubbles from anything air stone, skimmer, etc only create dissolved o2 when the break the surface of the water right? There is very little surface area for this to happen inside a skimmer. To me a protein skimmer creating a good o2 level is nothing more than an illusion. I could be wrong though

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to remind you that the Chromis will need to go through QT before being introduced just like any other fish.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do skimmers actually create that much dissolved o2? I know it creates a ton of air bubbles, which would make only make sense that it does. But there's very little surface area. Correct me if I'm wrong but bubbles from anything air stone, skimmer, etc only create dissolved o2 when the break the surface of the water right? There is very little surface area for this to happen inside a skimmer. To me a protein skimmer creating a good o2 level is nothing more than an illusion. I could be wrong though
The skimmer sucks in fresh air and mixes it with the water to create the bubbles with a special pump impeller. It oxygenates water much more efficiently than a power head disturbing the surface of the water. It does so much air exchange in an aquarium that many people run CO2 scrubbers on their skimmer air inlets to raise their pH. If they weren't so effective at air exchange this wouldn't work.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back