HELP LOWERING LEVELS

markyc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Still pretty new to marine tanks. My parameters have been solid for the past month. I was doing my tests and noticed that my Nitrite, Nitrate, and Phosphate levels are now very high. I have 2 Clownfish some snails and cleaner shrimp in my tank and i am worried i am not sure what my next step should be to lower them.

Parameters-- PH- 7.8 Nitrite 5.0 ppm (API Test), Nitrate 80 ppm (API Test), Calcium 454 ppm (Hanna Instruments), Alkalinity 9.2 (Hanna Instruments), Phosphate .96 ppm (Hanna Instruments). Please help open to any suggestions. This came out of no where.

THANKS AS ALWAYS

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much are you feeding? Using GFOs (Carefully) can help strip the phos.

If you lower your phos, you will also be lowering your nitrates as well

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 13.5 fluval, right? Just mix up 10g of water and do two 50% waterchanges a couple days apart then get your feeding levels in check. Nanos are a blessing and a curse. Easy to make bad things and good things happen fast.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 13.5 fluval, right? Just mix up 10g of water and do two 50% waterchanges a couple days apart then get your feeding levels in check. Nanos are a blessing and a curse. Easy to make bad things and good things happen fast.
This, or skimmer, or sump and chaeto.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do multiple fairly large water changes to help bring them down, but that just helps reset to a lower level.

From there though you need to feed less(less nutrient import) or add some greater nutrient export ability (skimmer, refugium, carbon dosing(if have skimmer), etc).

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you lower your phos, you will also be lowering your nitrates as well

What makes you say that? Using gfo or lanthium chloride can quickly reduce phosphate, but it is not going to bring down nitrates with it. It can get phosphate so low that it is difficult to get the nitrates down though.

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you say that? Using gfo or lanthium chloride can quickly reduce phosphate, but it is not going to bring down nitrates with it. It can get phosphate so low that it is difficult to get the nitrates down though.
With my tank, I have found they tend to be caused by similar issues. (Like overfeeding, too many fish, too much reefroids etc). So by addressing the root cause of the higher phos as well as running GFOs in media bags, my nitrates have dropped as well. I could be wrong, but thats what I have experienced.

I should have added that GFOs should only be used when multiple water changes haven't worked because of quickly they can bottom out your phos.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back