HELP! lurking parasites in water volume

muffinmanX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,
i currently have 2 cardinals, 1 clown and 1 flame goby in my reef tank. 4 months ago i realized the tank has a hidden infestation whereby my newly added purple tang died within 3 days. suspected velvet as the dead fish was covered with fine sandy texture. i have since setup a QT tank and i currently have a purple tang in it.

Was unable to remove the original inhabitants of my tank for QT and treatment although they looked fine but my gut feeling says that the parasite is stil lurking around and waiting to strike again. Need some really good advice on how to go about this?

1) try to catch all the existing fish again and put it with my purple tang and treat them all at one go and risk my new purple tang getting infected? may take time and the juvenile purple tang maybe stressed out in the 3" QT?

or

2) treat the main tank with polylab medic? and purple tang separately with copper and etc as per the pinned thread before adding it to the main tank.

TIA

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,
i currently have 2 cardinals, 1 clown and 1 flame goby in my reef tank. 4 months ago i realized the tank has a hidden infestation whereby my newly added purple tang died within 3 days. suspected velvet as the dead fish was covered with fine sandy texture. i have since setup a QT tank and i currently have a purple tang in it.

Was unable to remove the original inhabitants of my tank for QT and treatment although they looked fine but my gut feeling says that the parasite is stil lurking around and waiting to strike again. Need some really good advice on how to go about this?

1) try to catch all the existing fish again and put it with my purple tang and treat them all at one go and risk my new purple tang getting infected? may take time and the juvenile purple tang maybe stressed out in the 3" QT?

or

2) treat the main tank with polylab medic? and purple tang separately with copper and etc as per the pinned thread before adding it to the main tank.

TIA

Option 1 is more viable, assuming your QT can hold all those fish properly. However, you may want to research something called "ich management". It is an option for some folks. If your current four fish have been symptom free for 4 months, they are not likely going to get anything now.

The first purple tang dying in three days is odd - that is REALLY quick, even for velvet. I suspect that fish had an infection going on when you bought it. Did it breath really fast as it got sick?

Jay

OP
OP
M

muffinmanX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 1 is more viable, assuming your QT can hold all those fish properly. However, you may want to research something called "ich management". It is an option for some folks. If your current four fish have been symptom free for 4 months, they are not likely going to get anything now.

The first purple tang dying in three days is odd - that is REALLY quick, even for velvet. I suspect that fish had an infection going on when you bought it. Did it breath really fast as it got sick?

Jay

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

or

I

Sad for you. Purple tang is one of my 5 dream fish. Once I upgrade. I hope to get 3-4 of them.

OP
OP
M

muffinmanX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
newly setup a 3' tank (not 3") QT tank. i hope it's sufficient to hold them all 5 of them. will only start treatment when they all start eating. problem is that it's going to take me a while to trap all the existing fish without ripping apart my rockscape and coral :/ . made a homemade fishtrap.

as for the fish. it was fine on day 1. eating and all and very active.. the skin starter to show the dusty sandy symptoms on day 3 and the following day it's dead. two weeks later, added another purple tang and it was dead within less than a week. didnt notice that it was breathing heavily when i got it. that was when i stopped adding any fish for 3-4 months. and started up the QT tank recently when i had the time.

OP
OP
M

muffinmanX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad for you. Purple tang is one of my 5 dream fish. Once I upgrade. I hope to get 3-4 of them.
yes indeed. i feel bad for killing 2 juveniles. but i dont suggest having 3-4 of them unless you have a massive tank. quite a hostile species when they are adults

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes indeed. i feel bad for killing 2 juveniles. but i dont suggest having 3-4 of them unless you have a massive tank. quite a hostile species when they are adults
Im buying a brand new house and my wife is allowing me to get an -8 foot tank as long as I get several colorful fish. She is not impressed by SPS corals lol

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back