Help... made a big time mistake Overdose of NP Bacto-Balance

Xanthrum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello first time using any carbon dosing and misread directions ... I have a 75 gallon tank worth another 20 gallons in sump. Directions are for every 100 liters add .25ml ...well I converted gallons and calculated 3.2x the .25ml ... except I add 25ml not .25 .... I added 75ml of NP Bacto-Balance ... tank is now cloudy ... please suggest what I need to do ... yikes ... its fully loaded with sps lps and lots of fish. Help is greatly appreciated

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything I should be doing to offset besides water change .. and uv ... extra carbon .. adding anything ?
I think add in a bubbler because the bactaria will use up oxygen and possibly kill your fish. Make sure there's a lot of surface agitation, change water, carbon and uv to clear up. I don't think your corals will rtn or anything now, just make sure nutrients don't dip too low...

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this going to wipe out anything in my tank .... is this recoverable
Waterchanges for sure. But maybe also skim really wet? Add an extra powerhead aimed at the surface? I feel like when folks have issues w/carbon dosing it's b/c of the O2 depletion.

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you're rushing to make water for water change, make sure the basics are still being done... Alk and salinity test the water. Sometime we forget the basic when we rush.

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this going to wipe out anything in my tank .... is this recoverable
I had a similar experience where I added a bunch of bottlebac and the whole tank went cloudy. I think a large water change will be good and definitely UV was what pulled my system back. No loss at all. If you dont have UV i suggest Jebao-PU-55-Aquarium-Clarifier-55-watt I got it in a few days and installed right away, Couldn't even see the rock in my tank and in 48 hour was almost clear. I agree with post above, skim wet and add power head for surface agitation to add o2.. Good Luck!

OP
OP
Xanthrum

Xanthrum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar experience where I added a bunch of bottlebac and the whole tank went cloudy. I think a large water change will be good and definitely UV was what pulled my system back. No loss at all. If you dont have UV i suggest Jebao-PU-55-Aquarium-Clarifier-55-watt I got it in a few days and installed right away, Couldn't even see the rock in my tank and in 48 hour was almost clear. I agree with post above, skim wet and add power head for surface agitation to add o2.. Good Luck!
Thank you great advice ... got uv going .. and water change being done ...running skimmer wet and so far so good

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back