Help marine velvet

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look'n good girly! Those are some good look'n clowns.

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @melypr1985 wow has 10 days gone by soooo slow.. Lol so Friday afternoon I noticed an ammonia spike again. I took out about 35% of water.. Added clean saltwater, added copper, checked copper and got it to .5 again.. Added the karaplex antibiotic and all was good to go until today.. My ammonia level is back up again. I only have the two clowns the the 10g qt.. Can you tell me why this is doing this so fast now.. Also I do have an extra 10g.. Would you add the fish to a different qt or leave in this qt for the entire time.. If not remove fish.. Would you add carbon. At day 14 to remove copper and leave in the same tank? Or remove them all together and wait in meds

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @melypr1985 Would you add the fish to a different qt or leave in this qt for the entire time.. If not remove fish.. Would you add carbon. At day 14 to remove copper and leave in the same tank? Or remove them all together and wait in meds

If you want to stop copper before the 30 days, then move them over to the clean 10 gallon with new/clean equipment after day 14. Do not lower the copper level before transferring them over. Leave them in there to monitor for another 2 weeks to be sure you left all the velvet behind in the old tank. Though I've only heard of doing this with ick, not velvet. If it were me, I'd just stick it out for the full 30 days. Keep up with the water changes and the tank will finish it's cycle soon enough. One day you'll realize it's been a while since the last water change and be surprised. Make sure your siphoning out any uneaten food after each feeding to help with that and be sure to suck out any poo you see while your at it. This will help a bit.

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to stop copper before the 30 days, then move them over to the clean 10 gallon with new/clean equipment after day 14. Do not lower the copper level before transferring them over. Leave them in there to monitor for another 2 weeks to be sure you left all the velvet behind in the old tank. Though I've only heard of doing this with ick, not velvet. If it were me, I'd just stick it out for the full 30 days. Keep up with the water changes and the tank will finish it's cycle soon enough. One day you'll realize it's been a while since the last water change and be surprised. Make sure your siphoning out any uneaten food after each feeding to help with that and be sure to suck out any poo you see while your at it. This will help a bit.
I think I will wait the 30 days like you suggest.. I have been doing my water changes but I guess this last time I didn't get all of the food and or poop out because after I took everyone out but the two clowns with velvet.. And did a water change.. It was a if I can remember correctly at least 4 days.. It has been two days.. I don't mind doing the water changes.. It is getting the copper back to .5 and not knowing if I should add more antibiotics or not.. I don't believe the antibiotics will hurt anything.. But I am going to do the water change now.. Thank you so much girl:)

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok @Humblefish @melypr1985 or anyone awake.. HELPPP I noticed my clown acting crazy swimming fast and running into glass.. I checked everything and my copper and ammonia are perfect. But my nitrites is at 5.0 or more.. My ph is 8.4 and nitrates 20ppm.. I am not sure if this is ok with a qt tank but when I do water change I buy the already mixed water so I don't make a mistake. And I just changed the water out and got all food and poop out last night. What should I do

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sistawolf How is the clown doing this AM? The nitrite reading is probably a false positive from copper being in the water. However, your pH is kinda high ... but I'm not sure if copper impacts testing for that as well.

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sistawolf How is the clown doing this AM? The nitrite reading is probably a false positive from copper being in the water. However, your pH is kinda high ... but I'm not sure if copper impacts testing for that as well.
He was acting crazy.. Running into everything in the aquarium.. Glass.. Going to top like he was getting air.. The small tomato was fine.. And I have enough air supply for sure.. I did a 50% water change and added copper to read .5 and he stopped acting crazy.. So far so good:)

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 @Humblefish i just purchased a Pygmy angel from petco.. Yea I'm stupid lol but it just came in so never in their ranks.. Anyway should I set up a seperate qt or would it be ok to add it to my existing qt. I know it has copper in it and KanaPlex but clowns are 12 days from the 30 day qt with no signs of velvet or infection..

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another tank but do not have another filter for it.. So not sure what to do

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sistawolf If you add the Pygmy to the QT with the clowns, you will need to reset the 30 day clock for copper treatment. You also risk introducing a disease which copper does not treat - flukes, intestinal worms, a bacterial infection, etc. So, it would be best to treat the Pygmy separately.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely treat him separately. It's not a good idea to potentially mix diseases and parasites.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I just thought of; its not a good idea to dump ANY fish in full therapeutic copper. Especially an angelfish. You want to raise it slowly with them, if at all possible.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back