Need advice for new lighting.

I will make a build thread after I buy my new light

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those the only lights that you are considering? None of them are great at a 30x30 footprint and you will likely need multiples of each of them, depending on what you want to keep. What do you want to keep?

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radion XR30 Pro states 36x36 coverage and the Non-Pro listed at 30x30 and I believe that’s at 9” above the water line for both. If supplementing with T5 any potential shadowing in the corners shouldn’t be noticeable. I have seen some posted that look like great buys lately too.

Dpate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24 in aquatic life hybrid with the radion.
I only state this because this is what I use on my 24x24x24 in cube
8ea289f82855009a1b442f39acd8e3e1.jpg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three possible lights for mine right now.

Once will require a second for coverage (K7 from Noopsyche)
Second is kind of an unknown quantity but came off a 93 cube that was growing well (Angel A1p)
Third is a black box (in my case white) heavily modified by me and will no doubt provide enough light for the reef structure in my 93 cube.

There is no point in trying to cover 30x30 footprint. You will not have a reef structure that big. Honestly.

Shoot for about 24 x24 to allow swimming room and growth room and add more lighting later if need be.

This is just my opinion. YMMV

I promised I would test the K7 and am going to try and get a second for testing and give feedback.

The firm plan was to use the white box until I won the K7 and promised to test it.

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the Mitra 7206 light or the Orphek for your tank, in my opinion the Mitra's are the best light on the market, as they use parabolic light reflectors instead of light diffusers or lenses. Parabolic reflectors are the same type of reflectors that the better M/H reflectors are. Mitra's also are German made and you know how the Germans care about their quality control, they also have excellent customer service.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 A360's on my reef ready 93 cube. So far have not found any lighting limitations. Growing softies like weeks, LPS encrusting with signs of growth, and oddly enough SPS growing faster than my LPS. I am looking to supplement with t5's however I do not believe there are any limitations with my lighting as is...

I would suggest the 2 A360's over a 700 simply because you can adjust the distance between the two lights to fit better for the cube and create less shadows / hot spots.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JBKReef Just wondering why would you want to supplement t5’s if everything in your tank is growing nicely

Right now I’m running my Kessils at 100% intensity. I would prefer to back that down some to help with the longevity of the lights. Also T5 would help disperse the light from being so focused as well as cut back on some of the shimmer. While it’s amazing, two kessils alone make a crazy amount of shimmer.

OP
OP
theblackpearl

theblackpearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking about getting the Kessil AP700 and running it corner to corner. Then setting up my aquascape to work with that setup

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across this just as I was about to ask people the exact question. I'm planning a ~90 cube build and also looking at the tricky lighting question, particularly when it comes to front-back.
I've had a 75 peninsula for so long, I can't imagine not having a look-through type 3 sided view, but the back will be against the wall. Solution? I'm not going to fret so much about the front to back coverage, and mount/hang the light a little further forward than center.
I like the look of the Maxspect ethereal, but discarded it early on because it looks to me like the mounting arm front to back adjustment won't go far enough without also raising it along the diagonal.
I ignored any of the panel type single color per lens, because I already have them and don't like the random green and red colored spots they make. I don't know if the reefbreeders do this, but my Chinese black boxes do.
I tossed out the recurve because I'm not so sure, despite their claimed coverage, if it will actually produce usable light front to back with those strips. All the high-powered pucks are lined up down the center.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back