Help me automate my ATO reservoir

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have RODI entering my 3 gallon ATO reservoir via 1/4" line. I fill it up by opening a valve and setting a timer on my phone so I don't forget to turn it off. ATO water enters my sump via gravity fed 1/4" line hooked up to a manual float. I would like to automate the ATO filling process, and add a way to purge my RO membrane on start up. I do not have a controller (apex, hydros etc), and dont plan on getting one

From what I understand this can be done in several ways, but I want to get yall's advice. My preferred way would be to use high and low level optical sensors that control a solenoid valve (inline with my RODI) to fill the ATO, with a mechanical fail safe (float valve?) for the high level so I dont have a flood. I'm not worried about flooding my sump on the outlet-it can handle about 20 gallons of extra water.

Is there a kit out there for this? Maybe an ATO I can modify? Can I just buy some sensors and a solenoid and a float? Would I need to plug it all in to a controller of some sort?

As for purging the RO on startup, I'm not sure how to do that. My RODI filter is in the basement and the tank is upstairs. Routing anything from one floor to the next is not something I want to do. Is there some kind of flow-sensitive timer do-hickey that could route the startup water down the drain?

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use the Aquatic Live Smart Buddy booster pump on the RO/DI via a timer/Alexa controlled outlet, that will flush the membrane every time the power is cycled on the pump........... set the timer to be ON for the desired time it takes to fill the reservoir and the number of days it takes to empty it. it's not a perfect system as evaporation rates are not the same day to day, but it will work.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a high/low tank control board with float switches to control mine. I added a delay relay to the output so the first 5 minutes of RO goes down the drain instead of the DI.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
easiest way is to use 2 electrical floats connected to an aqualifter from res to sump. I use a manual float that feeds my ato res from ro/di with electronic inline pressure switch that also has a main water cut off switch. Wouldnt be hard for you to put on a T and gate valves for manual flushings

OP
OP
ianryd

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a high/low tank control board with float switches to control mine. I added a delay relay to the output so the first 5 minutes of RO goes down the drain instead of the DI.
I think this is the direction I want to go. Could you elaborate on the high/low control board and delay relay? I understand the float switches but just not sure what to wire them in to.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a quick sketch of my set up
56AE83E5-E697-40BF-BA94-9A8FD27E6072.jpeg

The tank controller and solenoids came from @Buckeye Hydro

OP
OP
ianryd

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update in case anyone is interested. I Have set up a "prototype" Automated ATO. It consists of a 5 gallon bucket, 2 electronic float switches in the bucket for hi and low levels, hooked up to a controller. There is a pump in the bucket that is hooked up to an ATO in my sump, and feeds the sump through a manual float valve just above the water line. I also have the water line from the pump split so some water circulates in the bucket every time it turns on to stir the kalk mix a little.

So far it works great, but the frequency of the sump top off is a little less often than I would like, so I will either run an airstone to speed evaporation, or get a better ATO unit (which I have but don't have a pump for at the moment)

As long as everything keeps up, I plan to bite the bullet and buy a nicer ATO container to replace the bucket

Back