help me change my wrasse's sleep schedule

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please help me get my wrasse to come out of the sand and stop sleeping as much. ive only seen him like 4-5 times since i got him a month ago. he has no issues except for sleeping in the sand bed whenever i can see him

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to go to sleep when they want and wake when they want. Sorry for the inconvenience.

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Try to entice him with food. Once he comes out to eat, play relaxing jazz music; that should comfort him and maybe he will not go back to sleep. When you are ready for him to sleep, turn off the jazz. I know it sounds crazy, but don’t knock it till you try it. Good Luck!

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s possible that it’s just been a month and it’s still getting comfortable. Mine changed their schedules little by little for maybe a month. Even now sometimes they sleep in or go to bed early. They can stay down there for days without ever coming out when they’re new

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s usually an underlying issue if a wrasse hides for a month. When you first get one, it’s not unusual for it hide for a few days and be shy for a while, but hiding in the sand for a month is not normal. You either have water quality issues or it has disease (though if it’s still alive after a month, it’s likely water quality). Also, do you have your lights on a set schedule on a timer? If not, not keeping a set schedule can cause fish and corals to stress out.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to entice him with food. Once he comes out to eat, play relaxing jazz music; that should comfort him and maybe he will not go back to sleep. When you are ready for him to sleep, turn off the jazz. I know it sounds crazy, but don’t knock it till you try it. Good Luck!
Important to note: it must be jazz flute.

Will Ferrell Anchorman GIF

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is up by about 8 am and then dives down for the night around 7 pm. He usually misses out on my evening feeding which is normally at 7:30, but it eats for the 10 am meal.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s usually an underlying issue if a wrasse hides for a month. When you first get one, it’s not unusual for it hide for a few days and be shy for a while, but hiding in the sand for a month is not normal. You either have water quality issues or it has disease (though if it’s still alive after a month, it’s likely water quality). Also, do you have your lights on a set schedule on a timer? If not, not keeping a set schedule can cause fish and corals to stress out.
i dont think its a disease or water quality. the problem is that my schedule dosent allign with its schedule. on the weekends i see it but on weekdays i dont. i have a set schedule on my lights but i usually just turn them on and off at the same time each day. it dosent come out to eat on weekdays because its usually asleep but it does eat on the weekend.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is up by about 8 am and then dives down for the night around 7 pm. He usually misses out on my evening feeding which is normally at 7:30, but it eats for the 10 am meal.
mines up at about 9:30 then goes to bed before 3, it is never there after school. but he looks really good when hes out and about. i highly doubt its territory too because all my fish get along perfectly without any intrest in eachother.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again what species do you have. If it's a fairy wrasse it can easily be intimidated by other more aggressive fish (clown or damsel). If it's a Halichoerus or Thalisoma it should be very active but it really should be on a set lighting schedule. A set feeding schedule is important until it (or pretty much any fish) has acclimated and established itself then it will come out once it recognizes you as the person who feeds it. Right now it sounds like either between how it's being treated by the other fish, your own behavior around the tank on weekdays or possibly something that's wrong with it is making it very cautious.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s common with wrasses, they will burrow when stressed our frighten. And it’s not something you can just change or make it stop doing

JohnA26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to ask similar, I brought home a yellow Coris and it hid for 2 days, but I leave for work by 8 am, all fish eat and are seemingly happy, but it doesn't come out. When I get home from work, it is out foraging around looking good and eating with the evening feeding. I was about to ask how do I get it on my schedule, but it sounds like it will gradually welcome the early feeding?

Back