• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wonderful_Mystery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided I want to branch out to try some SPS corals, but I think my lights are holding me back based upon my water parameter testing (though I don't have a par meter). I have a set of Current USA Orbit Pro's (bought used) and an old 50/50 blue/white bar (also bought used). These got my feet wet for cheap, but now I want to do better.

Budget is $600 to light a 48" tank. I have considered the following options:
- 3 x Noopsyche K7 pro 2 (~$540)
- SB Reef 45 Ultra (currently on sale for $560)
- going for higher quality used (Hydra 26's, Kessil 360's, gen 3 radions)

I would like to keep the programming (mainly automated ramping & moonlight) that I have with the orbits, so more than just black boxes.
Let me know your thoughts/opinions.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked new lighting knowing that i was going to upgrade to leds, i went with the aquatic life 48" t5 hybrid fixture so i could add kessils a little while later.

i'm currently running the 4 t5 2 ati blue plus 1 aqua blue special and 1 actinic, for led i'm running 2 kessil a360x

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
3-4 Orpheus OR3 super blue strips

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would have to be black boxes, as the 48" ReefBreeder is $700 by itself (though I have seen them go used for around ($500)
start with 1 16" ReefBreeders and then add another one that's what I would do. the 48" won't fit into a 48" hybrid and 2 16 will give you more then enough coverage for a 4ft tank especially with 4 t5 bulbs

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would do black boxes such as Viparspectra or a T5 Hybrid. I’m currently using black boxes for a 75g (just like your tank) and I’m growing SPS like crazy!

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Vetteguy mentioned, OR3 Strips would actually be great for you. I am looking into going this route with my new build and the orphek rep told me to try two blue strips and one daylight strip to get a better spectrum. You could easily start with three of them and add more if you find that you want to get more par. For what you're looking for though, three will be enough for some sps. The only issue right now, is controllability on the bars. The rep told me they should be releasing an app/controller for all the bars by the end of 2020, but for now you'll have to use a timer.

The single light that checks off all the boxes for what you're looking for is the Kessil A360x. I have one over my tank currently and I absolutely love it. I know two plus a controller will be more than your budget, but I promise you, its well worth the extra cost. If you can find a used pair, you may even be able to stick to your budget.

OP
OP
Wonderful_Mystery

Wonderful_Mystery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Vetteguy mentioned, OR3 Strips would actually be great for you. I am looking into going this route with my new build and the orphek rep told me to try two blue strips and one daylight strip to get a better spectrum. You could easily start with three of them and add more if you find that you want to get more par. For what you're looking for though, three will be enough for some sps. The only issue right now, is controllability on the bars. The rep told me they should be releasing an app/controller for all the bars by the end of 2020, but for now you'll have to use a timer.

The single light that checks off all the boxes for what you're looking for is the Kessil A360x. I have one over my tank currently and I absolutely love it. I know two plus a controller will be more than your budget, but I promise you, its well worth the extra cost. If you can find a used pair, you may even be able to stick to your budget.
I agree on all fronts there. I think the dream would probably be Aquatic Life (or Orphek Bars) / Kessil 360 hybrid. Totally blows the budget though, even if I could find it all used.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You have a 7" gap between the t5's and $300's.

Sadly the orbits 7.5" but w soo much dead space it's still possible to make it work.

"Might" actually be an advantage.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back