Help me choose powerheads and light for new tank in the works! (30x30x16)

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently only in the planning stage. Going to be building a 30x30x16 frag grow out tank. It’ll be BB and hooked up to my current system. Going to have a DIY overflow box in the middle and two returns (one in each corner). I’m not noting the returns as flow in the tank as they’ll likely be heavy on the surface for gas exchange. I’ll probably be using a viparspectra at first until I can save up for nicer lights. I’ll have steps of egg crate. So probably three levels (1 for low light, 1 for mid light, and 1 for high light) what lights will be best to achieve good growth for a mixed grow out tank? What I’m more worried about is flow, I’m horrible at achieving good flow. I am going to go with jebao, I’ve had great experiences with them in the past and they’re cheap. I was thinking about gyres but I’ve heard they’re a lot of maintenance and I feel like it might be too much flow for euphylia and shrooms and such. I was thinking possibly 2 slw-30s pointing each other between the mid and high level eggrate and possibly a jebao SOW-3 to provide flow that might be lacking at the low level. Any help on how to achieve proper flow and future light upgrade will be greatly appreciated! :)

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what your trying to grow, but the slw 30‘s are nice a pretty much everything. Although you might save some money by just buying what you want now instead of a constant stream of upgrades. The viparspectra will serve you well

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what your trying to grow, but the slw 30‘s are nice a pretty much everything. Although you might save some money by just buying what you want now instead of a constant stream of upgrades. The viparspectra will serve you well
So you think my idea with the two SLW-30s facing each other for mid-high flow and a supplemental SOW or similar for supplemental flow is good? After doing some research I’m between viparspectra or 6-8 bulb t-5. Also thinking maybe 2 viparspectra to give me more coverage and controllability for different levels of light different corals prefer

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think my idea with the two SLW-30s facing each other for mid-high flow and a supplemental SOW or similar for supplemental flow is good? After doing some research I’m between viparspectra or 6-8 bulb t-5. Also thinking maybe 2 viparspectra to give me more coverage and controllability for different levels of light different corals prefer
That would work great for flow! Jebao is a truly underated brand and I love how controllable they are at a affordable cost. 2 viparspectras would be good for just about any coral you want in your size of tank.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would work great for flow! Jebao is a truly underated brand and I love how controllable they are at a affordable cost. 2 viparspectras would be good for just about any coral you want in your size of tank.
Yeah I love my jebao pumps, uv sterilizer, and power heads. I think I’ll go with that for flow. Still gotta figure my lighting out. Definitely between viparspectra and/or t-5s. I just can’t afford those high end leds and heard bad about MH (not best color, high heat, and more energy consumption)

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I love my jebao pumps, uv sterilizer, and power heads. I think I’ll go with that for flow. Still gotta figure my lighting out. Definitely between viparspectra and/or t-5s. I just can’t afford those high end leds and heard bad about MH (not best color, high heat, and more energy consumption)
I personally think that t5s are losing their place just because of the ongoing expense. There are so many substitutes for them now that they might not be worth it.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think that t5s are losing their place just because of the ongoing expense. There are so many substitutes for them now that they might not be worth it.
I suppose an Orphek bar could be nice supplementation. I don’t know of any others that are more of a supplementation kind of light

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
250w Reef Brite pendant with a 24" XHO strip for lighting. Done. Best light available and grow whatever you want.

For flow, 2 Tunze 6045. Reliable. Stand up company that actually innovates. Fantastic service from Roger if you ever need it. Bulletproof pumps that will outlast the tank.

Now that's a frag setup that can't be beat.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting choices and they’re not bad on price either. Few questions. Could the XHO be swapped with a 24” 2-bulb t5 fixture to save on upfront cost (I’d upgrade when funds permit)? Would that lighting setup work well for the stepped egg crate for frags (like will it have good spread and I’d get pretty even high light at top, mid light at mid level, etc). And last one, how would you position 2 of those powerheads to provide higher flow for SPS and some LPS (top/middle) and lower flow at the bottom/middle for ones that don’t like too much?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very interesting choices and they’re not bad on price either. Few questions. Could the XHO be swapped with a 24” 2-bulb t5 fixture to save on upfront cost (I’d upgrade when funds permit)? Would that lighting setup work well for the stepped egg crate for frags (like will it have good spread and I’d get pretty even high light at top, mid light at mid level, etc). And last one, how would you position 2 of those powerheads to provide higher flow for SPS and some LPS (top/middle) and lower flow at the bottom/middle for ones that don’t like too much?
You could run the T5s instead of the XHO for as long as needed. They're only there for your viewing pleasure since the halide will do everything you need and then some. Running it 12-14" off the water will get you all the spread and PAR needed for all corals. Go check out jda's build thread for the colors and growth halides provide.

Flow is always so tough to judge until you have things in the tank. I run one 6045 in my 24*24*20 tank and it does awesome. It's all LPS though. I prefer pumps on the back wall hidden away. Then just point them where it's needed most.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could run the T5s instead of the XHO for as long as needed. They're only there for your viewing pleasure since the halide will do everything you need and then some. Running it 12-14" off the water will get you all the spread and PAR needed for all corals. Go check out jda's build thread for the colors and growth halides provide.

Flow is always so tough to judge until you have things in the tank. I run one 6045 in my 24*24*20 tank and it does awesome. It's all LPS though. I prefer pumps on the back wall hidden away. Then just point them where it's needed most.
Okay that sounds sweet. I might just have to try that mh. I’ll trust you that it’s so great. It’s always good to try different things so you can get a personal preference with experience. I’m glad I’m planning this now instead of when I’m ready for water lol. Still have a bit before I can even start building the tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back