Help me decide (1 Radion Pro vs 2 Kessil 360Ws)

RocketCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to decide between the two for my 20x20x30 mixed reef. Either choice will be controlled by my Apex. I keep going back and forth and cannot decide...thoughts?!?

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if it were me I'd go with the Radion. The only reason the lights I really like to have.

GnarleyMarley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely go radion (I actually did in fact) but idk if I would go pro. I have the gen1 with tir lens upgrade over my 60 cube acro tank and could not b happier.

I have seen 3 tanks running the kessels and have been faaaar from impressed.

Radion is the way to go. Granted their software still sux for the lights but the hardware is top notch. And coral coloration and growth rival any halide I have ever seen, at least that is how they r working for me :D

OP
OP
RocketCityReef

RocketCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely go radion (I actually did in fact) but idk if I would go pro. I have the gen1 with tir lens upgrade over my 60 cube acro tank and could not b happier.

I have seen 3 tanks running the kessels and have been faaaar from impressed.

Radion is the way to go. Granted their software still sux for the lights but the hardware is top notch. And coral coloration and growth rival any halide I have ever seen, at least that is how they r working for me :D

Thanks. Do you have any experience using an Apex to control the Radion? Also, what caused you to not be impressed by the Kessil units?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 radion or should I say +5 cause I got 5 of the Pro's'
No need to run it on the APEX other than On/Off.
Apex doesn't support the radions with a module, they do support AI.
Ecotech got their own online control ESL (Eco Smart Live) that's all you need.
As of now you can control the Radions from every smart device if you get the Reeflink with it.
Just check it out,

ReefLink | EcoTech Marine

Oh Btw, a sneak peak,

Attachments

• diesel tank1.jpg
    diesel tank1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 4,120
OP
OP
RocketCityReef

RocketCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank! I read where Apex can now fully control the Radions (and Vortechs) via a new WXM module firmware update. Anyone have any experience with this? How well does it work?

+1 radion or should I say +5 cause I got 5 of the Pro's'
No need to run it on the APEX other than On/Off.
Apex doesn't support the radions with a module, they do support AI.
Ecotech got their own online control ESL (Eco Smart Live) that's all you need.
As of now you can control the Radions from every smart device if you get the Reeflink with it.
Just check it out,

ReefLink | EcoTech Marine

Oh Btw, a sneak peak,

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm with the Radion vote.
Have 4 and they are great.

They have their own software and controls, no need to use a Apex with them.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank! I read where Apex can now fully control the Radions (and Vortechs) via a new WXM module firmware update. Anyone have any experience with this? How well does it work?

Not sure about the Radions on the WXM, yes for the pumps and I have it programed as we speak but just waiting that Ecotech send me the updated firmware for the Reeflink so I got it in all in one under control on the ESL through a smart device (iPhone )every where I go in the world.

Can't find any info about the Radions work on the WXM.

VorTech Pump Control | Neptune Systems

Last edited:

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered 5 A360WEs for an 8X30 build. I prefer the pendant look and shimmer provided by the dense matrix arrangement.

nwkermit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radion all the way! Light is a amazing and reeflink make it easy to control.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have also heard from Ecotech that the WXM module does everything that reeflink does. Same results with a different application.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got of the phone with Chris, former IT tech guy by APEX, he said it's a no on the Radions for APEX, as only the Vortech pumps can be supported by the WXM module.
But than again who knows what APEX has for secrets, it's all about the completion.

OP
OP
RocketCityReef

RocketCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the replies so far. So it turns out that my Apex can control the Radion:

Neptune Systems Offers Full Wireless EcoTech Radion Support | AquaNerd

The reeflink is nice, but I already have smartphone access to my Apex, so I'd rather use it instead. Above, it was mentioned that the Kessils have a nice shimmer effect...which looks great (and is the only reason I haven't already chosen the Radion). Having not seen the Radion in person, though, I'm not sure how they look. Maybe the Radion would prodice less shadowing in my application?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the replies so far. So it turns out that my Apex can control the Radion:

Neptune Systems Offers Full Wireless EcoTech Radion Support | AquaNerd

The reeflink is nice, but I already have smartphone access to my Apex, so I'd rather use it instead. Above, it was mentioned that the Kessils have a nice shimmer effect...which looks great (and is the only reason I haven't already chosen the Radion). Having not seen the Radion in person, though, I'm not sure how they look. Maybe the Radion would prodice less shadowing in my application?

Not yet.........Latest Firmware | Neptune Systems

thenissantech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of upgrading my lighting to radions also. I compared kessils too and it seemed that the radions would be a better choice. As for the apex controlling the radions via wxm. It is a yes. if you go on the Neptune forum you can see for yourself. the apex fusion software/ dashboard will support radions. some test users have already shown how they have their radions set up via wxm.

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radion is taking reef tank lighting industry by storm. I recently bought a Radion XR30w gen 2 a few weeks ago. Could'nt be happier with the purchase. The sky's the limit with these units.

Bry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 Radions (not pro) over my 75 for the last year..recently bought a Kessil 360WE to compare for my next build. The color of the Kessil is significantly better than the Radion. The corals and fish look brighter under the Kessil. The shimmer is incredible! I will be replacing both Radions with Kessils down the road.

Martyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the Radion's. I just bought two gen 2's and love them. The Kessil's are really in a different league. IMHO they actually have too much shimmer due to the spotlight effect and you'll need two them get the coverage (at the same height) as one Radion. They can't match the brightness and you will definitely need a controller, otherwise, you'll risk burning your corals for sure (they aren't as bright, but must throw out a ton on UV).

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you could just buy a les expensive light because you won't run it at 100% and if you talk anybody that has been to one of the factories in china they will tell you there is pallet after pallet of LEDs with different labels all made at same factory labels such as cree luxeon bridglux etc. I have talked to people that have seen it.

I personally don't think you should have to put 5 lights over a six foot tank because the light doesn't have enough light spread. Save your money buy a reef radiance 155e or lumentek that has built in programming .

I know in your case you have a small tank so you could spend a little more. I know that even with a 155e you won't use more than 50% output even with all SPS. And the light is less than $200 you could spend the extra money on some new coral.

I know some people will bash this because they are ecotech fans but they like over paying for there stuff like those crappy pumps that you have to replace parts on all the time on a $600 pump which is silly. It is ridicules to pay over 700 for a led light

I think the kessil light is a better product if your torn between the two they have a good spectrum and good drivers and are well thought out for that style light.

I'm not going to debate any of this with someone that isn't happy about me telling you that buying a ecotech radion light is way over rated and it's the branding that has made the cost so hi. I really don't think they are all that. Think about it all the LEDs crammed into a small circle and so there is two of them. The unit is small and the light isn't spread out very much that is why you see the people using them on large tanks using so many to get enough light.

Save money.... still get good lights...don't over pay for branding....

Kind of like buying a HDMI cable for your tv. You can get a cable for ten bucks that has all the right speed through put and quality that meets all requirements for perfect tv super high def viewing or you canbuy a monster cable that costs $80 that they make look cooler and has the monster cable name but is no better than the $10 cable

Sorry I had a rant on your thread and went beyond your question. I just think you should save your money and not buy either one.

Back