• Reefbreeders rp-m

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do 2x RPM’s, they have a wider flow pattern, decent configurable options, an 18mo warranty and are the least expensive option.

I’m no longer a fan of the MP series after all of the rusting issues. I just don’t see the value proposition.

The Nero has too narrow of a flow pattern in my opinion, and has seemed to have more then its fair share of fish and anemone deaths.

However that’s only my opinion.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All three move water. How would they be mounted? Do I want cords in the display? Will they fit where I want them to go? How long do I plan on having them? These are some additional questions to consider.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do 2x RPM’s, they have a wider flow pattern, decent configurable options, an 18mo warranty and are the least expensive option.

I’m no longer a fan of the MP series after all of the rusting issues. I just don’t see the value proposition.

The Nero has too narrow of a flow pattern in my opinion, and has seemed to have more then its fair share of fish and anemone deaths.

However that’s only my opinion.
I thought the RPMs were just a nero 5 clone? The only thing I loose is control via app ( Im using AI hydras on this tank)

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All three move water. How would they be mounted? Do I want cords in the display? Will they fit where I want them to go? How long do I plan on having them? These are some additional questions to consider.
I'd love to do one on the left side glass, and o e on back wall of possible, I've always just used jebaos as they did the job, and we're cheap, bit I feel like where I've stepped up my gear on this build quite a bit I needed to do something nicer. My wife hates the MP40 after much discussion, because of the "ugly thing" outside of the tank, so the cable doesn't bother me in the tank. I'd like to get the most bang for my buck and want something low profile, give me what I want for flow, have good quality and will last a few years.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmn ..... I’ve no experience with the Nero, but do run both the vortech MP40 and the RPM. The latter is much less expensive and thus a better value for you. In absolute terms though, the MP40 is a much better pump.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmn ..... I’ve no experience with the Nero, but do run both the vortech MP40 and the RPM. The latter is much less expensive and thus a better value for you. In absolute terms though, the MP40 is a much better pump.
I showed my wife both, and she hates the outside portion of the vortechs. Figured she'd love em as no cable in the tank. The Rpm seems good from what I read. The only thing I really like about the Nero 5 is the ability to add it to my AI app, as I'll be running a set of hydra 32s on this tank. I'm not sure if app control and AI name is really worth the extra 120 dollars a piece to me.

Cdeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my Nero 5 I'm running in a biocube. The app is great, extremely controllable and I'm only using 10% power for more than enough flow in a small tank. Ordering two more for my new waterbox upgrade that I hope to have in a few weeks.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've run mp40s for years and have the neros running now. They both have pros and cons, the mp40s are set with the direction of flow, but the contollability of master slave and programming is not matched by anyone. Expecially once the moebius app comes out and you can set schedules for them like you can I'd you have a reeflink. And I've noticed the only rust when you start cleaning them in vinigar.. vinigar will rust metal almost instantly. (I use it to antique new steel to make it match old pieces)

The neros are nice, I've never had a fish get sucked into them.. they hook up to the ai app through bluetooth which is nice and you can set schedules and run parent child modes on them as well. But their programming leaves a bit to be desired. The anti sync mode only works in pulse not random and their rate of speed change on high is over 60 seconds. Not much of a reef surge to me. Where to vortecs change quite often and run in anti sync which is nice. One upside to the nero is there smaller than the vortec and honestly have a wider flow pattern (with slightly less volume) and you can angle the powerhead to where you need to flow. Downside is theres a wire in the tank but your tank wont have "earmuffs" like on the vortec.

So if it was me... honestly I'd have to go vortec for the performance and controlability overall. If the neros had better programming I would say go with them. But the programming issues that AI says isn't a problem and no plans to change drives me nuts.

AdamW0611

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 RPMs in a 125 gallon, they're quiet, wirelessly link together, and can be run from any portable mobile phone charger in an emergency (sold separately). The flow pattern seems decent, and I'm about to order 2 more.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having had MP40’s and currently a Nero, I’d never go back to the MP40. The Nero is a much wider flow, it doesn’t need a s much maintenance, and all the moving parts are in the tank so it’s virtually silent. A small wire going into the tank is much more appealing to me than the dry side sticking out to the side.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I showed my wife both, and she hates the outside portion of the vortechs.

Understood, my wife disliked them also. To me there’s elegance of both design and operation. Mostly I use MP60s.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood, my wife disliked them also. To me there’s elegance of both design and operation. Mostly I use MP60s.
This tank is supposed to look like furniture in the room, that's why she greenlit it, so I'll gladly get something pleasing to her as it puts a tank back in the living room.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Downside is theres a wire in the tank but your tank wont have "earmuffs" like on the vortec.

I gotta admit, I spit coffee on my keyboard when I read this. I always thought mine looked more like Frankenstein neck bolts on my cube tank. :D

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back