Help me decide on a skimmer and return pump please ?

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first time with a sump. Putting together a RS 525XL. V3 sump and hope to be be able to use the refug split. With this setup. Can I please have some input on skimmer and return pump? Looking at Octo 150 INT and am clueless on a pump. But ratings aside I have no stinking clue. And with the price these components carry. I’d greatly appreciate user experience.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of Reef Octopus skimmers. Decent price point and great build quality. Some others I would say fall in the same catagory are Vertex and some Bubble Maggus
As for returns, Vectra pumps from Ecotech, Varios from Reef Octopus and anything Since are all good options.
My one suggestion is to try not and skimp on either of these pieces of equipment as they are the heart and soul of your tank. That doesn't mean break the bank to get either, but do get the best you can afford as doing so will save you money and headache in the long run.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first time with a sump. Putting together a RS 525XL. V3 sump and hope to be be able to use the refug split. With this setup. Can I please have some input on skimmer and return pump? Looking at Octo 150 INT and am clueless on a pump. But ratings aside I have no stinking clue. And with the price these components carry. I’d greatly appreciate user experience.

Check out the Tunze 9410 for your skimmer.

Check out Lifegard, Mag, Sicce or Eheim for your return pump. Use the pump's flow curve to select a model that will deliver about four times your display tank's size in GPH.

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I have always had great success with Reef Octopus and if I had to do it again I would get that instead of the Skimz SM202.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend any DC return pump that has speed control built into it. It makes life much simpler. I think Reef Breeders has a nice one and they have a sponsor forum here at R2R so they are easy to contact and ask questions.

I just started using a Coral Box skimmer from Reef Breeders and it's been one of the best skimmer I've ever owned. Good quality build, easy to clean and the collection cup overfloww alarm has come in handy a couple of time already. I shut off my pumps when I feed my anemones and the extra water in the sump will make the skimmer go crazy and overflow the cup. So this one has a float switch which shuts off the skimmer pump and sounds an alarm. It also has a delay timer to having it turn back on after you feed. I think it 10 minutes, 30 minutes and 50 minutes. I always pick 50 so I'm not skimming stuff out right away after I feed the tank.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a bigger tank and did some research on return pumps. Also talked to 2 local fish stores on returns pumps and went with octo varioS 6. Install last week and pretty excited about the pump. Very quiet and pumps out some good water.

Skimmer i also went with octo and have been totally satisfied with it.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for coral box.. I have owned a lot of skimmers and I’m just amazed at how well the coral box skimmer works, love the DC controllability, auto shut off if collection cup overfills and it’s almost dead silent.. found mine on eBay new in box for $138

6C9C868F-6BF9-47E0-A2AF-3D7F0B0341F1.png

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Reef Octo Regal 250 Varios and absolutely love it. The digital controller is fantastic. Return is a Vectra M1.
All depends on how much you want to spend.
Also, IMHO, I'd go a wee bit bigger on that skimmer. Its "heavy bioload" is rated at 100 gallons or so, and your tank will exceed that.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very happy with my skimz sm161

Running it on my 75 so it's quite a bit oversized but works great. I like having the larger skimmer as my bioload increases

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These threads nearly always end up as 'buy what I've got' recommendations.

I love my Vertex skimmer, but it was expensive, and parts are high...

I bought a Current USA eFlux return pump. Been running a bit more than a year now, pushes what it says it should, quiet, dead reliable so far... but the same could be said for a dozen different brands.

I'd stay away from the bottom of the price curve... I've had one too many failures at the bottom end.

By the same token, I'd stay away from the super high end, too... brand new technologies are not something I want to rely on, and paying double for the latest greatest toys doesn't excite me.

Do you research, find something that fits your budget and your reef, read the reviews... that's about the best you can do.

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im selling my vertex omega 130 for $150. Let me know fi your interested. I do have it posted in the sell thread as well.

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These threads nearly always end up as 'buy what I've got' recommendations.

I love my Vertex skimmer, but it was expensive, and parts are high...

I bought a Current USA eFlux return pump. Been running a bit more than a year now, pushes what it says it should, quiet, dead reliable so far... but the same could be said for a dozen different brands.

I'd stay away from the bottom of the price curve... I've had one too many failures at the bottom end.

By the same token, I'd stay away from the super high end, too... brand new technologies are not something I want to rely on, and paying double for the latest greatest toys doesn't excite me.

Do you research, find something that fits your budget and your reef, read the reviews... that's about the best you can do.

I’ve done a ton of research. Months. I’m asking for personal opinions with experience so I appreciate all forms of feed back.
Price is not a factor. It’s a slow build so I can save and get what I land on. But yea, first sump and want to get it right. Thanks for the replies all.

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im selling my vertex omega 130 for $150. Let me know fi your interested. I do have it posted in the sell thread as well.
Not a fan of used equipment outside of a tank itself. Thank you though.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had several different brands of skimmer (Reef Octopus, Tunze, Icecap, Lifereef, H&S, probably others), and Deltec is the only one I've bought twice. They have been the quietest, most consistent, and best performing for me.

I prefer AC return pumps, I don't need the adjustability of DC. I'm currently using a Syncra Pro and impressed with how quiet it is. I had a Syncra Silent before and the Pro is much quieter.

sfmacguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nyos 160, and love how easy it was to dial in, and how silent it is. Came from a vertex, and Reef octopus before it. Currently running Vectra M1 for return, but did have the power supply die. Replaced and has been running great since. I do have a spare L1 sitting around just in case, but hopefully wont need to use it :)

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys definitely have me looking up and watching videos on some stuff off my radar. Thank you!

n4soccer06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat as you, as I am currently planning my first build. For a skimmer from my research and talking another members here I'm going to go with a Reef Octopus. For the pump, I think I'm going to with a Netpune COR-15 or 20. I probably go with the COR-20 only because I haven't purchased a Apex controller yet. Both CORs will work with any Apex controller but COR-15 requires a Apex controller is order to supply it power. Where the COR-20 is standalone.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the odd one out, I like ac return pumps. I don't want the chance of the pump not returning full speed of the power flickers on and off, which can happen with DC pumps.

I use mag drives, they work and I haven't had a problem with them.

Back