Help me figure out auotfeeding this 40L build, Plz&TY

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Laboring over my upgrade from an Evo and IM Nuvo 10g to an :star-struck::star-struck:IM Nuvo 40L AIO:star-struck::star-struck:.

I'm not great at DIY, but I really want to autofeed my tank multiple times throughout the day, particularly with liquid foods for the corals/nems/filter feeders.

Here is my PPT diagram:
1675755278306.png

Questions for you brilliant minds in the know:
1. Sucking up the Reef Nutrition liquid food I understand. Getting them to combine into one tube and then get flushed up the tubing into the tank with RODI is where I'm stalling.
-- a. Presumably, start pumping from the 3 RN bottles first
-- b. Then pump from the RODI bottle, which is at the end and should flush all of the food up the line and into the tank in a high flow zone.
==> Here's the question: How do you hook up the tubing so that RN-pink doesn't flow into the stock tubes of RN-green and RN-tan (contaminating them)? Is there something like a Y-connector that could connect all the tubes at each union point on the way out and up to the tank? If you started pumping all at once, would the pressure from the RODI at the end keep everything flowing in the right direction? Open to ideas!

2. This question is directed right to @Reef Nutrition : in this diagram, I have 3 RN bottles, but I actually feed with 5-7 RN bottles manually (oyster feast, arci pods, pac pods, roti feast, Phyto-Feast non-live, and mysis feast, and also sometimes ROE). So my question is, can I combine your products into a single bottle and thus have only two pump heads working (one pulling from the RN mixture, one from the RODI)? Would mixing them cause the different food types to no longer remain in suspension?

Additional notes:
1. In the future, I would like to get a KH Keeper and start automating dosing, which also means I would be able to switch out the AFR for a 2-part like B-ionic.
2. The galvanized steel pan is from amazon and is 41.5 x 26 x 1 inches, which should hold about 4 gallons of leaked water, should the tank overflow from the AWC or ATO. I have a concern about placing this under the super heavy APS stand + tank, which will be on top of thin office carpet... wondering if it will warp the pan, cause the stand to no longer be level and result in misery and doom.
3. My clowns eat only NLS pellets and hate TDO (Evo) and my blenny/firefish love TDO (Nuvo 10g), so I plan to put two autofeeders up on either side of the tank so they are getting fed a bit separately. Who knows.

And of course, what kind of build discussion would this be without a stocking list. Here's a visual of my stocking plans for the IM Nuvo 40L AIO:
1675757084471.png

Thanks everyone!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Laboring over my upgrade from an Evo and IM Nuvo 10g to an :star-struck::star-struck:IM Nuvo 40L AIO:star-struck::star-struck:.

I'm not great at DIY, but I really want to autofeed my tank multiple times throughout the day, particularly with liquid foods for the corals/nems/filter feeders.

Here is my PPT diagram:
1675755278306.png

Questions for you brilliant minds in the know:
1. Sucking up the Reef Nutrition liquid food I understand. Getting them to combine into one tube and then get flushed up the tubing into the tank with RODI is where I'm stalling.
-- a. Presumably, start pumping from the 3 RN bottles first
-- b. Then pump from the RODI bottle, which is at the end and should flush all of the food up the line and into the tank in a high flow zone.
==> Here's the question: How do you hook up the tubing so that RN-pink doesn't flow into the stock tubes of RN-green and RN-tan (contaminating them)? Is there something like a Y-connector that could connect all the tubes at each union point on the way out and up to the tank? If you started pumping all at once, would the pressure from the RODI at the end keep everything flowing in the right direction? Open to ideas!

2. This question is directed right to @Reef Nutrition : in this diagram, I have 3 RN bottles, but I actually feed with 5-7 RN bottles manually (oyster feast, arci pods, pac pods, roti feast, Phyto-Feast non-live, and mysis feast, and also sometimes ROE). So my question is, can I combine your products into a single bottle and thus have only two pump heads working (one pulling from the RN mixture, one from the RODI)? Would mixing them cause the different food types to no longer remain in suspension?

Additional notes:
1. In the future, I would like to get a KH Keeper and start automating dosing, which also means I would be able to switch out the AFR for a 2-part like B-ionic.
2. The galvanized steel pan is from amazon and is 41.5 x 26 x 1 inches, which should hold about 4 gallons of leaked water, should the tank overflow from the AWC or ATO. I have a concern about placing this under the super heavy APS stand + tank, which will be on top of thin office carpet... wondering if it will warp the pan, cause the stand to no longer be level and result in misery and doom.
3. My clowns eat only NLS pellets and hate TDO (Evo) and my blenny/firefish love TDO (Nuvo 10g), so I plan to put two autofeeders up on either side of the tank so they are getting fed a bit separately. Who knows.

And of course, what kind of build discussion would this be without a stocking list. Here's a visual of my stocking plans for the IM Nuvo 40L AIO:
1675757084471.png

Thanks everyone!
Install the tubing like this with a 5 way splitter.
Your dosing heads will act as check valves when the RODI head is running to flush the 5 way fitting and line to the tank.

Link to 5 way splitter.

20230207_092641.jpg

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your dosing heads will act as check valves when the RODI head is running to flush the 5 way fitting and line to the tank.

Link to 5 way splitter.

20230207_092641.jpg
Thank you! That is amazing and can't wait to try it out (although I'll have to since tank won't be up and running till April probably).

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reef Nutrition Any feedback on mixing contents of multiple bottles together, especially with regards to everything staying mixed in suspension?

If you cannot mix the bottles, would having one dosing head taking from two bottles using a single tube and a Y-splitter? or would that cause the dosing head to preferentially draw from the less viscous bottle?

Thanks!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reef Nutrition Any feedback on mixing contents of multiple bottles together, especially with regards to everything staying mixed in suspension?

If you cannot mix the bottles, would having one dosing head taking from two bottles using a single tube and a Y-splitter? or would that cause the dosing head to preferentially draw from the less viscous bottle?

Thanks!
I suspect you should be fine to mix all the live pods together.

I would also suspect the phyto feast, oyster feast, mysis feast and roe could be added together too.

Not 100% and dont know how it would affect the shelf life though just blabbin.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect you should be fine to mix all the live pods together.

I would also suspect the phyto feast, oyster feast, mysis feast and roe could be added together too.

Not 100% and dont know how it would affect the shelf life though just blabbin.
I can mix them in relatively sterile conditions, and they would be in a compressor fridge, so should keep! Mostly worried about them separating into a density gradient and then I'd be drawing up just one out of N types of food. Thanks!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can mix them in relatively sterile conditions, and they would be in a compressor fridge, so should keep! Mostly worried about them separating into a density gradient and then I'd be drawing up just one out of N types of food. Thanks!
The other fridge feeder setup i saw incorperated battery powered mini magnetic stirrers like used in a lab to keep the food mixed.

https://a.co/d/eqVMTjQ

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Link to 5 way splitter.

20230207_092641.jpg
Hi again!
Quick question for you:
I spoke to Reef Nutrition and we think I can make a slurry of the RN liquid foods into a single bottle, so now I could get away with a regular 3-way T barb with RN going into the bottom and RODI going into the side and out the other... Do you think it would be better to have a 4-way with RN + RODI going in first to the tank and a 3rd line pushing air through afterwards to flush out the line? Or can the line stay filled with RODI (and whatever residual food stays in the tube till the next dose)?

Thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back