Help me figure out what’s wrong with my sick fish

Scott1357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello anyone! I have A new 60 gallon saltwater aquarium. Water parameters are good, nitrates are a tad bit high. I have three damsels to start. They have been in the tank for two weeks. One has developed what looks like a salt on his fins. He is still very active and eating well, I noticed it 48 hours ago. I’m trying to trap him now because netting him is about impossible. I will try and post a pic for anyone who is willing to possibly give me some advice. Thanks in advance to someone!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Lots of kind and helpful people here.
If you can count them and they are large like grainy salt it's probably Ich; if there are too many to count and they are fine like sugar it's probably velvet. With Ich you have time to slowly ramp up copper to treat the parasite; with velvet time is your enemy and you need to ramp up the copper ASAP.
So posting a picture can really help us all to advise.
Here's a link to a posting by @melypr1985 of pictures of various parasites and diseased fish. It's important because you can see your fish far better than we can.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-disease-index-pictorial-guide.285708/#post-3473098

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, great place, great people, and tons of great info!

Back