Help me figure out what kind of reef plants i have

Serendipity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to see if anyone can help me identify the kinds of reef plants I have here

15851852403437767465206660039148.jpg 15851852857321805515496144737821.jpg

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really hard to tell from those photos so gonna shoot in the dark here and say you got GSP(Green Star Polyps).

Kullas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very hard to tell from the blue pics but kinda looks like GSP to me

OP
OP
Serendipity

Serendipity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I know is one is growing so fast I bought it as a piece as large as my finger and now its covering over half of one of my rocks in 5 months not sure what I'm doing but I'm doing something right and its attached its self to the rock as well and advice on cleaning tips? It's starting to grow a green Algie on it

Kullas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a Turkey baster and blow it off. The gsp is hard to keep under control it grows like a weed. I do have some in my tank but it is on a rock by its self in the sand bed so I can keep it under control. It will grow out of control and is hard to scrape off the rock work.

OP
OP
Serendipity

Serendipity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that I didn't know that and so far this seems to be the only plant I can grow with the lighting I was sold.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that I didn't know that and so far this seems to be the only plant I can grow with the lighting I was sold.
It’s a coral not a plant. It’ll pretty much grow anywhere you let it touch. Want your back glass covered in a moving green wall? If so, slice some off the rock and stick it to the back toward the bottom (it grows up toward the light faster than down.) It’ll grab on eventually and spread out. If you want to see what it looks like do a search for GSP wall, GSP overflow, and some really neat ones are GSP lawn. That’s when folks stick it on the bottom of a bare bottom tank and it covers the bottom glass like grass.

OP
OP
Serendipity

Serendipity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's really neat I'll look into that and see what all I find and thank you also for the correction of what to call this coral i was calling it a plant cause it was reminding me of grass lol

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's really neat I'll look into that and see what all I find and thank you also for the correction of what to call this coral i was calling it a plant cause it was reminding me of grass lol
It does! I think it's awesome, some folks around here think it's the spawn of Satan due to its ability to spread and its apparent inability to die. I'd love to set up a small shallow and wide lagoon style tank with rock "islands" and have the entire bottom covered in a GSP lawn and let the rocks get covered in encrusting corals like Monti's and Cyphastrea.

OP
OP
Serendipity

Serendipity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all I can suggest is research, research. There is a lot to keep track of when you first get started.
That I've been doing research and asking questions I'm going to break a piece off and put it on the side of the aquarium and let it start growing and see what happens I think that if it starts growing on the glass that would be so pretty to see

Back