Help me figure out why some of my sps are doing good and others aren't.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock looks pretty clean. How old is system? Dead or live rock start?

Five cubes of what kind of frozen? Several feedings per day?
Used Carib sea life rock, dead. System is 1 year old. I feed usually once a day because I'm working most of the day, I feed cyclops,mysis, mega marine algae, spirulina brine, and reef caviar. I'll feed 2 cubes of brine, one mega marine and usually mysis and on other days I'll do 1 of each food.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used Carib sea life rock, dead. System is 1 year old. I feed usually once a day because I'm working most of the day, I feed cyclops,mysis, mega marine algae, spirulina brine, and reef caviar. I'll feed 2 cubes of brine, one mega marine and usually mysis and on other days I'll do 1 of each food.
Assuming the tank descrip of "180" is in gallons, yeah. You could do better with a lot more fish.

In the mean time you could feed some pellets as well. They are much more nutrient rich than frozen. I am not saying "better" than frozen but richer. Brine shrimp are not very nutrient rich, nor do they provide a lot of protein like mysis do.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the tank descrip of "180" is in gallons, yeah. You could do better with a lot more fish.

In the mean time you could feed some pellets as well. They are much more nutrient rich than frozen. I am not saying "better" than frozen but richer. Brine shrimp are not very nutrient rich, nor do they provide a lot of protein like mysis do.
yea my tank is a 180 gallon tank, 6 feet long 2 feet wide 2 feet tall. Gonna add more fish and feed more pellets, hopefully that will help solve my issues!

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea so my salinity is 1.027, phosphates are at 0.02, 0 nitrate. The parameters are stable, alk stays between 8-9. My sps gets between 120-160 par, I'm running 4 radion xr15 g4s set to 12k
Get Phosphate up to about .05 and your nitrates to at least 5ppm. Your water is too clean. FWIW, I saw no benefits to AB+, just more glass cleaning.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get Phosphate up to about .05 and your nitrates to at least 5ppm. Your water is too clean. FWIW, I saw no benefits to AB+, just more glass cleaning.
Yup that's exactly what it was like for me as well. Struggling to raise my nutrients as of late but I've been hand dosing no3 and po4, or else i would still be at 0 nutrients.

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dose straight phosphate and nitrate. No need for fish. Get you a bottle of phosphates and a bottle of nitrates. An dose according to directions.

RIC13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think I'm gonna stop using ab+ Been noticing a decline since using it now that you mentioned it. How can I raise nitrates?? Or will reef roids raise it up along with phosphates?
I had very low, almost non detectible, phosphates and nitrates. I fed a heavy blend of shrimp, pellets and flake 2x per day for 1 wk and tested every day. Nitrates and phosphates eventually rose, but I had to dose Seachem flourish phosphorus once to get the phosphates where I wanted—feeding alone wasn’t doing it. The tank is now steady at PO4 .08 and NO3 3-4 ppm.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 132 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.5%
Back