Help me finalize my Pentair 40w plumbing

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on finalizing my plumbing on my SCA 120, and need help deciding on the final design for the plumbing of my Pentair 40w UV.

My tank has an internal overflow and would like to avoid moving the tank again to drill additional returns into the back. My idea is to plumb the 1" UV returns over the edge of the euro brace, I'm thinking of having two returns, one on each of side the tank for more equal flow. Photo attached, don't mind the blue and white plumbing, the final design will be all black to hopefully hide it better. I will have this powered on its own pump in the sump, either M2 or COR20.

See any issues with this plan? Should I go with a single return?

Otherwise, I could plumb this from its own pump in the skimmer section through the UV to the return section of my sump to avoid having over-the-edge plumbing. I know this isn't the most effective route but would avoid the unsightly plumbing over the edge.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0390.jpg IMG_0391.jpg IMG_0393.jpg IMG_0395.jpg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what you show will work; but I suppose you are using two (2) returns to distribute flow. IMO, I’m not sure you will get appreciably greater benefit from two returns as you would from just one (1).

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question why would you plumb it on the return line vs overflow? Seems like theres a lot that already been removed by the other filtration.

OP
OP
vabben

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what you show will work; but I suppose you are using two (2) returns to distribute flow. IMO, I’m not sure you will get appreciably greater benefit from two returns as you would from just one (1).
Correct, I was thinking of two return lines to distribute the flow. One would clean up the look.
Quick question why would you plumb it on the return line vs overflow? Seems like theres a lot that already been removed by the other filtration.
Couple reasons I'm wanting to plumb it separately; redundancy, ease of plumbing, and being able to dial in the flow to match the UV specs.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I wish you the best. I have a Pentair 40W on my 150 FOWLR and I like it. I run it 24/7, mostly for algae control. Some people have found that unless it is plugged in separately, it will trip an electrical outlet; so mine is by itself.

ReefinRheum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask how this worked out? I’m thinking of sending my UV return back over the top of the tank also.

OP
OP
vabben

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask how this worked out? I’m thinking of sending my UV return back over the top of the tank also.
Haven't finished it yet. I have painted the PVC black to get an idea of how it will look. Leaning towards just one return over the edge with a VCA 1" RFG nozzle to keep a clean look and random flow.

Another issue is how to mount the UV to the wall. Not thrilled to spend $60 on the Neat Aquatics mounting clamps, additionally they are out of stock. Any other options?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't finished it yet. I have painted the PVC black to get an idea of how it will look. Leaning towards just one return over the edge with a VCA 1" RFG nozzle to keep a clean look and random flow.

Another issue is how to mount the UV to the wall. Not thrilled to spend $60 on the Neat Aquatics mounting clamps, additionally they are out of stock. Any other options?
What's the diameter of the UV? You could look at the hardware store for plastic clamps that can be screwed to a surface and hold pipe.

What is your goal for the UV? Low flow for fish parasites or high flow for algae/dinos?

OP
OP
vabben

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3.5”. I think I have a plan to mount. I’ll post some photos when I get it mounted.

I plan to run it at high flow for algae/dinos.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3.5”. I think I have a plan to mount. I’ll post some photos when I get it mounted.

I plan to run it at high flow for algae/dinos.
Ok so just trying to follow along. You plan to pull water from the sump and then send directly back to the tank for algae/dino control. There will be a separate return pump also.

How much water are you planning to send through the sump? High flow for algae/Dino control would need pretty high tank turnover. Couple that with a separate return pump and it will be a raging river through the sump.

OP
OP
vabben

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct plan to have an additional pump.

The gph through the sump is a defiantly a concern and one of the main reasons I haven’t completed the plumbing on this. The tank isn’t wet yet, so unsure if the sump will be able to handle two return pumps.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct plan to have an additional pump.

The gph through the sump is a defiantly a concern and one of the main reasons I haven’t completed the plumbing on this. The tank isn’t wet yet, so unsure if the sump will be able to handle two return pumps.
Well you could just plan on sending all/most of the water back to the tank through the UV and then have the second return pump for emergencies or when you want to slow flow through the UV for fish parasite control when necessary. As long as you have enough turn over through the sump in normal algae/dino mode.

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agreee with Shirak. I think two pumps pulling water from the sump is going to be too much....but I'm not expert.

I planned my return line to have a valve system that lets me flow all/some/none of the water through the UV on the way back to the tank. Right now I'm running about 520gph through the UV on the way back to the tank which is in the zone for algae/dino on that size.

Here is a drawing.
Screenshot (175).png

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back