Feet Pixel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this called green cyano?
I can't get rid of it..
i acquired this tank because the last guy said he couldn’t keep up with the algae. I scrubbed the rock and have been okay up until this point, but here it comes.
pits thick and it traps air bubbles in it. Gives the appearance of bubble algae but don’t be deceived.
trying to cover my frag plugs and take root in my sump- can anyone identify this specific type so I can do some more research?
its beginning to take root under the sand Ed and that terrifies me

6FD5F2D3-A464-4BFB-8A07-A84CCB4DF790.jpeg
A77A8CBF-19CF-4EC8-A6E4-F27FB93BAC12.jpeg
71154480-49DB-4FE6-9840-2D6A142A4843.jpeg
CBE6F7DF-FD39-425C-9AA7-8730F7826780.jpeg

Last edited:

neo1738

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something very similar few mo back black, thick, bubbling, black all over the sand. Worked for me to cut white light to only couple hrs a day cut green and red values down (primarily what algae use) and really work to keep nutrients low. This means no primary pellet feeding use frozen mysis, pods, etc. My tank has never been cleaner. Don't give up also fish don't need nearly as much food as you think they do.
20220628_152000.jpg

Last edited:

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my cyano issues in past 15 years have resolved on their own. Your rock still seems somewhat young, usually by 18 - 24 months things settle out. Increasing flow and continuing to scrub and siphon it out should work, also can try chemiclean. If you do make sure you have plenty of surface agitation to avoid O2 depletion.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do as others suggested about feeding and lowering whites as well as cutting the green and red spectrums first but if you resort to chemicals try to clean as much of the algae out first before you treat the tank. If you don't then the massive die off can cause an ammonia spike. I haven't experienced this but have read the threads on her. As mentioned you will also need to increase oxygen while treating.

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green algae in the sand is not a form of cyano. It’s regular algae. You’d see this if you tried to scrape it off. Generally, if you control your nitrates and phosphates it will get rid of most algae.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manage parameters and dosing live phyto helps with algae naturally. Looks like standard ugly phase with some bubble algae mixed in. Where are your parameters at? Tank size and clean up crew?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have Bubble Algae Valonia ventricosa also. Test Kits for Silicates, Nitrites, Nitrates, and Phosphates are in order. To remove the Bubble Algae, you can remove the Rock and Scrub it under running water, use glove, in case you have Bristle Worms. A Emerald Crab will eat the reoccurring Buds. Try to get a Female they are less aggressive. I’ve found the Emeralds can’t eat the Larger Bubble Algae, but will make short work of the Buds. Do you use RO/DI Water?

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(from pictures) it Looks like it's worst at the top going down so as others suggest start with lowering intensity of white lights or reducing hours they are on per day. The algae on front in sand bed could be from sun light, does the sun light hit your aquarium at all? this could also be a factor for the whole aquarium. everyone suffers from algae at some time or another so do not worry :)

ndds73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From the picture this looks like bubble algae and can be eradicated by using Vibrant made by Underwater Creations. Some local fish stores do carry this product or you can buy it online. If you follow instructions from Vibrate it will take between 6 - 8 weeks for all the bubble algae to be gone. After about 4 weeks you will see the bubble algae starts to turn white.

Here is the picture of the Vibrant bottle.

images.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the picture this looks like bubble algae and can be eradicated by using Vibrant made by Underwater Creations. Some local fish stores do carry this product or you can buy it online. If you follow instructions from Vibrate it will take between 6 - 8 weeks for all the bubble algae to be gone. After about 4 weeks you will see the bubble algae starts to turn white.

Here is the picture of the Vibrant bottle.

images.jpeg
Whatever you do, don't add this crap to your tank. Not even sure you can still buy it? It is not a bacterial product, but is a simple algacide.

Algaefix by API is the same stuff and half the price.

ndds73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Whatever you do, don't add this crap to your tank. Not even sure you can still buy it? It is not a bacterial product, but is a simple algacide.

Algaefix by API is the same stuff and half the price.
I haven't used Algaefix but I used this product and it worked to get rid of bubble algae. I have a friend and he got bubble algae so much just like the pictures in this post and he also used this product and it eradicated all bubble algae in his tank.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used Algaefix but I used this product and it worked to get rid of bubble algae. I have a friend and he got bubble algae so much just like the pictures in this post and he also used this product and it eradicated all bubble algae in his tank.
Have you read the thread about what Vibrant is, and how UWC is no longer a sponsor on here for lying about it's product and what it actually contains? Or how they are under investigation for lying about whats in their product?

Many threads about it, but a good start would be here:

EDIT:
I can't find it for sale on the web except amazon. UWC's own website is out of stock(for a very good reason). Pretty sure this product has been yanked from the shelves from consumers.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algafix by API would have done the same exact thing for half the price.

1 gallon(64oz) of algafix is about $60, 16oz of vibrant(again same active ingredient, and not a bacterial product at all like they claimed it was) is $27.

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your tank I can only see a few LPS corals so if I was you I would get some Algaefix to sort this out. I have used Vibrant in the past for Bubble Algae(I know yours isn't) and it worked well but I didn't have any SPS in the tank just soft and LPS and it didn't affect the corals or No3 & Po4. With Virbrant I dosed the minimum amount for my tank twice a week.

If you do get Algaefix to sort this out I would wait a few months after you have stopped treating the tank and keep an eye on your No3 & Po4 and let the tank settle before you add any more coral or fish.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this called green cyano?
I can't get rid of it..
i acquired this tank because the last guy said he couldn’t keep up with the algae. I scrubbed the rock and have been okay up until this point, but here it comes.
pits thick and it traps air bubbles in it. Gives the appearance of bubble algae but don’t be deceived.
trying to cover my frag plugs and take root in my sump- can anyone identify this specific type so I can do some more research?
its beginning to take root under the sand Ed and that terrifies me

6FD5F2D3-A464-4BFB-8A07-A84CCB4DF790.jpeg
A77A8CBF-19CF-4EC8-A6E4-F27FB93BAC12.jpeg
71154480-49DB-4FE6-9840-2D6A142A4843.jpeg
CBE6F7DF-FD39-425C-9AA7-8730F7826780.jpeg
How long has the tank been running?

It looks like a typical ugly stage which will normally resolve in 3-6 months.

If that's what it is, you need to use elbow grease and just keep scrubbing the stuff out until it settles down.

OP
OP
Feet Pixel

Feet Pixel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the encouragement everyone.
lone point I wanted to clarify on- I don’t think there is bubble algae. It seems to be air bubbles getting caught in the algae. When I touch them, they float right off the rock/pop like a normal air bubble. I’ve touched/played with bubble algae before it it was a material object, this acts like air bubbles. I can touch them, they’ll pop and then that night the air bubbles will be back in place.
I use RODI water

the tank was a year old and the old owner gave up due to hair algae and cyano.
I scrubbed the rock under running freshwater and then added it with around 20 lbs of dry rock. That was within the last couple months.. so it sounds like this is to be expected.
I thought I was fighting a losing battle to cyano, it’s encouraging hearing that this is somewhat standard. I used a toothbrush during a water change this weekend and it made a world of difference. Previously, I was kinda dabbing/rubbing at it with my finger.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lone point I wanted to clarify on- I don’t think there is bubble algae. It seems to be air bubbles getting caught in the algae. When I touch them, they float right off the rock/pop like a normal air bubble. I’ve touched/played with bubble algae before it it was a material object, this acts like air bubbles. I can touch them, they’ll pop and then that night the air bubbles will be back in place.
I use RODI water

I scrubbed the rock under running freshwater and then added it with around 20 lbs of dry rock. That was within the last couple months.. so it sounds like this is to be expected.
I thought I was fighting a losing battle to cyano, it’s encouraging hearing that this is somewhat standard. I used a toothbrush during a water change this weekend and it made a world of difference. Previously, I was kinda dabbing/rubbing at it with my finger.
Yes I would avoid using your finger... You might turn into the Hulk :) :)

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use RODI water

Since it seems like you inherited his problem, have you run any water tests like nitrate and phosphates, I'm wondering how high the phosphates might be? You may have phosphate bound up in the rock.

Back