Help me get rid of this!

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is missing here.....water testing is a must....using quality kits...not API. Do you have a LFS that will test the water for you?

RODI - do you have a TDS meter on it? What is it reading?

With 3 fish (tang will get you chastised by the tang police in a 29 gallon) there should atleast be nitrates and phosphates of some kind without a sand bed.

What type of filtration are you using?

Also and aside....do you realize the GSP is going to grow across your entire tank....not stop until it takes over the world?...just a warning in case you ever want other corals in there.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is missing here.....water testing is a must....using quality kits...not API. Do you have a LFS that will test the water for you?

With 3 fish (tang will get you chastised by the tang police in a 29 gallon) there should atleast be nitrates and phosphates of some kind without a sand bed.

Also and aside....do you realize the GSP is going to grow across your entire tank....not stop until it takes over the world?...just a warning in case you ever want other corals in there.

Why does API get such a bad rap? I used it prior to buying a bunch of red sea test kits and it was pretty much on par. I ran out of Red Sea but still use api and my tests are right on par with my LFS (which uses another type of test kit and who also bashes API). I don't know why everyone gets erroneous results with it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does API get such a bad rap? I used it prior to buying a bunch of red sea test kits and it was pretty much on par. I ran out of Red Sea but still use api and my tests are right on par with my LFS (which uses another type of test kit and who also bashes API). I don't know why everyone gets erroneous results with it.
Yep.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try some hard work... Pull out the hair, brushing off the hair, blow off your rocks, suck it out. Do 20% water changes for several weeks while repeating those steps, then hit it with chemiclean. That hair algae is why your phosphates are 0. They're sucking it all up and trapping it, remove it and you'll remove your old* nutrients. Hair algae will also trap TONS of detritus making it worse. Then get a sail fin Blenny aka lawnmower Blenny. Those are things I've done that all worked, at least for me they did.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the carbon dosing will feed the cyano directly.
And yea, coralline, lil algae etc. in a lot of bad water tanks its common to not have those. something kills it. sometimes you'll get ammonia and nitrites. Thats due to the nitrifying bacteria not functioning as it should. I call it a stunted cycle. (TM);)
really common in some distilled water and bottled water tanks as well.
What's the best way to go about carbon dosing?

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I only use Red Sea test kits. Yes I know about the tang police lol. I'm moving to a 75 gallon tank soon but want to tackle this algae issue so it doesn't occur in the future. I use a skimmer rated for 150 gallons and water changes every three weeks as my filtration. I like the gsp so far and hasn't caused me any issues yet. It's mostly situated on its own rock that way I can move it any time I think it's going to start becoming invasive.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try some hard work... Pull out the hair, brushing off the hair, blow off your rocks, suck it out. Do 20% water changes for several weeks while repeating those steps, then hit it with chemiclean. That hair algae is why your phosphates are 0. They're sucking it all up and trapping it, remove it and you'll remove your old* nutrients. Hair algae will also trap TONS of detritus making it worse. Then get a sail fin Blenny aka lawnmower Blenny. Those are things I've done that all worked, at least for me they did.
Yea those are all things I do constantly. All it does is stir up the water with algae floating all around until it grows back the next day. Only exception is the lawnmower blenny.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, why not lol. If it helps me with this algae we can assume anything
non rodi water may be killing the good bacteria od directly feeding the cyano. That's why the question has been asked by several members.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
non rodi water may be killing the good bacteria od directly feeding the cyano. That's why the question has been asked by several members.
And that makes sense but how could I be getting bad water from a new rodi unit?

netdawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quite likely due to less places to hide.
yeah I thought about that too, one thing though I notice is that my cardinals don't eat Pods even when I drop ones from my cheato clean up into the display they rush to them and leave them alone once they move. I was thinking the Fluco actually took away some of the food source of the pods but can't confirm it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that makes sense but how could I be getting bad water from a new rodi unit?
I don't believe you mentioned it was rodi, thus the question, but apparently we missed it. Have you checked the TDS? are they quality filters?

Looking at your two year old tank and my 3 yrs old, two year old, and one year old tanks, and working with a lot of people with tap and bottled water problems on r2r for several years, your tank exhibits all of the signs of bad water.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I thought about that too, one thing though I notice is that my cardinals don't eat Pods even when I drop ones from my cheato clean up into the display they rush to them and leave them alone once they move. I was thinking the Fluco actually took away some of the food source of the pods but can't confirm it.
check the the big thread on bryo. Its bizarre how many survival strategies it has, one if holing particulates till they dissolve. Im sure bugs love it. Mine did.

burtbollinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 2 cents is: I'd test my RO/DI...I'd get feedback on the amount of flow you have....I'd dose Chemiclean...then step up water changes, skim wet, syphon frequently, baste rocks occasionally, and I'd run some Purigen, ROX 0.8 carbon and GFO (even running passive would be a start).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back