Help me get rid of this!

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is this and how do I remove it?
Chemiclean worked once but doesn’t anymore, just started dosing H2O2 in the mornings.
NO3 25ppm
PO4 0.1ppm

It’s red stringy and blows In the current, it’s not bubbly like cyano.

B6F4EAB9-DBCE-4B42-A3C4-83A7E7A82712.jpeg 56A0796B-3A97-46D4-BF38-ED607D960F01.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hum.....Im going to say its still
Cyano bacteria......"Purple, red, even black depending on the lighting above it and it's stage in growth/thickness. Most commonly seen in the beginning stages as a "reddish/brown dusting" on the sand/rocks if left untreated it will quickly become thicker, even stringy looking, can have little bubbles trapped in it or not , and can carpet your sand, rocks and even your corals"

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hum.....Im going to say its still
Cyano bacteria......"Purple, red, even black depending on the lighting above it and it's stage in growth/thickness. Most commonly seen in the beginning stages as a "reddish/brown dusting" on the sand/rocks if left untreated it will quickly become thicker, even stringy looking, can have little bubbles trapped in it or not , and can carpet your sand, rocks and even your corals"

I agree. How do I get rid of it? Been trying for months!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cyano - no doubt
Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations go haywire. Just like when you eat too much sugar and your waistline starts to bloom, the same happens in your tank when concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what type of flow do you have in there?

What power heads?
How many power heads?
Fish only so not a whole lot of flow honestly. One Tunze 3105 and teturn
Cyano - no doubt
Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations go haywire. Just like when you eat too much sugar and your waistline starts to bloom, the same happens in your tank when concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

Good call on lights didn’t think that, turned all lights off completely, tank will only be lit by ambient light, fish only no worries.

how long until H2O2 takes affect?

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights off and peroxide 1ml/10 gallons twice a day and its basically gone. Cool thanks guys!

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 3+ weeks later, still gone?

Yes long gone, I still dose everyday and will continue on all my tanks. I never knew about the benefits of peroxide.

I also have a butterfly fish that kept getting eye infections, after I dosed peroxide it went away and hasnt returned.

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought cyano, like dinos, appears when the tank the tank is too clean... but OP has 25ppm nitrates and 0.1ppm phosphates.... i've been trying to keep my numbers elevated because of this =/

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought cyano, like dinos, appears when the tank the tank is too clean... but OP has 25ppm nitrates and 0.1ppm phosphates.... i've been trying to keep my numbers elevated because of this =/
They are remarkably flexible about habitat. I've seen them in low & high nutrient conditions. If I had to guess what is a typical catalyst, I would say an imbalance between nitrates & phosphates or a significant shift in one or the other that upsets the microbiome.

I can say with some conviction that if you treat them with Chemiclean while in a low nutrient environment, you will end up with dinoflagellates.

kalel454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is this and how do I remove it?
Chemiclean worked once but doesn’t anymore, just started dosing H2O2 in the mornings.
NO3 25ppm
PO4 0.1ppm

It’s red stringy and blows In the current, it’s not bubbly like cyano.

B6F4EAB9-DBCE-4B42-A3C4-83A7E7A82712.jpeg 56A0796B-3A97-46D4-BF38-ED607D960F01.jpeg
New tank syndrome, look up vodka dosing.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrong, Vodka dosing caused this. Tank is 2 years old. H2O2 successfully eliminated.
Visually it is cyano. Putting some under the scope and sharing will be definitive but I would bet your paycheck on cyano.

IME, cyano prospers in noisy nutrient environments. Noisy ratios between NO3 and PO4 really allow them to flourish. No quick fixes. Get boring and they will eventually pass.

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visually it is cyano. Putting some under the scope and sharing will be definitive but I would bet your paycheck on cyano.

IME, cyano prospers in noisy nutrient environments. Noisy ratios between NO3 and PO4 really allow them to flourish. No quick fixes. Get boring and they will eventually pass.

Yes high no3 and PO4, started dosing vinegar to reduce nitrate and the cyano exploded.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%

Back