Help me ID this growth on my Fox Flame colony please!

jessezm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. This Fox Flame colony that I've had for a couple years now developed this white bulbous growth on part of it's underside, and it now appears to be accelerating and doing damage to the colony. It appears as if its calcareous and potentially altered coral skeleton, like some tumor that's causing it to grow and causing the tissue to die? Though it doesn't seem to grow much algae on it like you'd expect a dead coral to do. Does anyone know what it is or what I should do about it?

IMG_0267.jpg IMG_0268.jpg IMG_0269.jpg IMG_0270.jpg IMG_0271.jpg

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. This Fox Flame colony that I've had for a couple years now developed this white bulbous growth on part of it's underside, and it now appears to be accelerating and doing damage to the colony. It appears as if its calcareous and potentially altered coral skeleton, like some tumor that's causing it to grow and causing the tissue to die? Though it doesn't seem to grow much algae on it like you'd expect a dead coral to do. Does anyone know what it is or what I should do about it?

IMG_0267.jpg IMG_0268.jpg IMG_0269.jpg IMG_0270.jpg IMG_0271.jpg
Following this thread as this is absolutely new to me. I guess a possible solution for now is to frag the healthy/unaffected parts and throw away the affected sections.

OP
OP
jessezm

jessezm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking. I also considered applying putty or glue over the affected area, but it almost looks as if the "infection" is internal, and could pop up somewhere else. But again, I have no idea. I'd love to get some sort of answer from someone who's seen this before acting, but I won't wait too much longer, as this Fox Flame colony has really nice color and I don't want to lose it!

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t want that spreading. I’d frag the best pieces well above the infected areas and dump the rest in the circular file.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a coral growth anomaly. See attached link:

OP
OP
jessezm

jessezm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very similar to their pictures and description. This is helpful, thanks.

mill try to excise the effected area and hopefully it won’t come back

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back