Help me ID this!

Sivas88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short... My tank is just about 2 years old, a Biocube 32 gallon. My original setup went through an ugly phase, but after about 9 months and adding some coral was running very nicely. Corals were growing great (Mostly soft corals and LPS) and my 2 clownfish were very happy. It ran fine for about 6 months and then just started going downhill. Corals started closing up and just slowly started dying, one by one, despite my best efforts to save them. Eventually the whole tank crashed and I left it alone for a few months in defeat. A ton of green hair algae grew in that time, and about 6 weeks ago I cleaned most of the GHA out and did almost a 90% water change to bring down my nitrates(they were about 30). The tank was looking better than it had in a long time, but that led to the pictures below... It is basically just covering all the rocks, most of the sand, and the back wall as well. Lots of trapped air bubbles and very stringy.

My best guess is some sort of cyanobacteria, I did try some chemiclean as a last resort but it didn't seem to make a dent. I guess it could be Dinos but it doesn't go away at night and doesn't blow off the rocks or break up very easily either.

Parameters when the pictures were taken:
Nitrates 7.0
Phos: 0.04
Alk: 7.5
Calc: 420
Ammonia: .25 (Hard to read honestly)

20210623_151235.jpg 20210623_151307.jpg 20210623_151251.jpg

ash9965

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like Dinos to me I recommend adding some more bacteria to your tank like seachem stability or microbacter 7 and cut back a little on feeding

tjohnson3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to Get rid of the nitrates and ammonia with some big water changes, run carbon along with the chemiclean and keep the lights off. Change filter floss daily and try to remove as much by hand/suction if possible… it will take a couple weeks to rid the tank, so patience is key

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd snag a microscope to look at it. Can get a cheapy on Amazon. Then post pics for peeps to ID in the nuisance algae forum.

If it's dinos, don't drop the nitrates to zero. Gotta keep some in there. Add in some Microbacter7 and drop the lights.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back